Part Twenty-Two: Step Two-Break In

It was a windy night, I could hear the grains of sand smack against the compounds walls. It was hard to sleep after the weird day I had. Even though my mom said we were going to have so much fun, we actually didn't. I was disappointed, especially because my Beach Boys record was destroyed and my mother had been distant with me. I wished my dad would come home early, but I knew he wouldn't.

As the wind picked up even more, I knew I was never going to get any sleep so I forgot about it in general. I got up, slipping on my shoes and walking out of my room. The metal floor creaked beneath my feet and I looked out into the dimly lit compound. It was a mess, but at the same time clean, if that makes any sense.

I thought that maybe I should just take a walk, maybe it would bore me into being tired. Then I remembered my mother, no matter what mood she was in, would always let me sleep with her if I had a nightmare or couldn't sleep. And so I made up my mind, marching down to my parents bedroom.

I turned a corner and walked across the platform that crossed to the other side of the compound. I never could look down, it was always too high. I always wondered what would happen when someone fell off. I shook those thoughts away when I got to the other side, skipping down the steps and over to the room. I peaked my head in the doorway and looked into the dark room.

"Mom?"

Me and Gally waited in the garage of the building, standing close to the glass doors where we were supposed to catch Newt, Thomas, and Teresa walking by and join them. I took a deep breath, but that was a mistake as a cough came up my throat. I couldn't hold it back and lifted my helmet to let it out. Gally turned to me and noticed this all unfold so he came and blocked me from view.

I coughed heavily, it both hurting and relieving my throat. After a minute, I stopped, so I looked up to Gally, nodding as I slipped down my helmet once again. Even though I couldn't see his face, I knew he was skeptical.

"I'm fine." I assured to him as I let out one more big cough, but the boy shook his head.

"I never should have put you on this mission." Gally then said and I was taken aback, a little offended by his words.

"Why? Cause you think I'll ruin it?" I asked defensively and Gally sighed, shaking his head.

"No, because your gonna get yourself hurt." He said and that was the answer I really wasn't hoping for.

"I'm already dying Gally, can't get much worse then that." I said and this made Gally look away from me for a second. "besides, your not supposed to care." I added flatly but that comment seemed to get the boy mad.

"Well guess what (Y/n), I do care!" He said aggressively, pushing me back against the wall. "You think your not important but you are, so stop acting like all of this is some kind of joke."

"Hey!" I said aggressively back, pushing Gally away from me hard to the point where he almost fell. "You promised me Gally, remember?"

"I know what I shucking promised, never said I wasn't gonna do it, but that doesn't mean I don't care." The boy said in return and I took an angered sigh.

"And this isn't a joke to me." I said quieter which I know made the boy feel guilty for making that comment in the first place.

"I know it isn't." He said and there was a sadness in his voice.

"Hey, don't get attached to a dead girl walking." I said but that got him annoyed once again.

"Thats what I'm taking about!" He exclaimed. "What is wrong with you? This is a serious thing!"