Part Twenty-Three: Step Three-Get To The Med Wing

I pushed Teresa up the second staircase that lead to the ground level of the building. I looked back, waiting for Thomas and Newt to catch up to us. I wasn't walking very fast, knowing that they were too distracted to know that I even left in the first place. But I had to go or else they wouldn't have let me come.

Me and Teresa passed some soldiers but I just nodded to them as if we were buddies. Teresa didn't look over, just kept moving forward, trembling slightly. She turned her head to look at me but I didn't look at her.

"You should have stayed back." Teresa then said and I knew she had been waiting to say that. "We've done studies..."

"Oh, you've done studies?" I said sarcastically which got a flat glare from her. "And what are these studies."

"That the infected people who tend to work their brain more make the Flare infection spread faster." I let this I information run through my head, doing exactly what she warned me not to do, but then I shook it away.

"You think if I cared about what happened to me I'd be here?" I asked and that shut her up. "If we do this quickly, we shouldn't have to worry about this."

Before Teresa could say anything more, a guard came face to face with me. He looked me up and down, probably sizing me up, then looking over to Teresa.

"Soldier, what are you doing?" The man asked and I didn't stutter as the lies came spewing from my mouth.

"I'm escorting Ms Teresa here back to the medical wing." I informed him but the guard looked at me suspiciously.

"Under whose authority?"

"Hers." I said jerking my head in Teresa's direction. "And I'm sure that she can fire you faster then you can blink so I suggest you get out of our way." I said, feeling the irritation coming from my voice.

"You..."

"That was a friendly warning sir, but the next one won't be. Get out of our way so I can do my job and she can do hers, her job being way more important then yours I'm sure."

After a second, the man finally gave in, leaving me and Teresa to keep going on our way. I nodded as we continued forward, but I almost froze when I saw two other guards approaching us, but I recognized the red and navy blue uniforms instantly.

Newt and Thomas made their way beside me and Teresa, both boys giving me a glare behind their mesh masks. I shrugged, continuing forward to the elevator that we were trying to get to.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Thomas asked me but I shrugged again.

"Wasn't thinking, the voices in my head told me to do it." I joked and Newt turned his head slowly to me, making me realize it probably wasn't the best answer.

"Keep moving." Thomas told Teresa aggressively and the girl did as told. We were right in front of the elevator now, Thomas pressing the button and it turning a red. When the elevator didn't come within the five seconds of pressing it, he pressed it again and again and again. I leaned over to Newt.

"Do you want to be the one to break it to him that pressing the button rapidly won't make the elevator come faster or should I?" I asked and Newt tried to hide his laugh, but right as I said this, the elevator opened up and we walked in. Me, Thomas, and Newt took the back of the elevator while Teresa stayed in front of us. She was breathing heavily, obviously nervous, but I was breathing heavily cause I was struggling to walk in general.

I was about to take another cough to clear my throat of the liquid building up inside of it, but something stopped me. Just as the elevator doors were about to shut, a man shoved his arm between it to re open them. Janson then came walking through, his naturally smug face looking back at the three of us in the uniforms. He then turned, standing directly next to Teresa and I watched as her entire body became stiff.