Part Thirty: The Betrayer Is My Friend

By the time we had made it back to the berg, I was already starting to feel the Flare begin to naw at my brain again. There wasn't a second that Minho would allow me to walk on my own, but I didn't mind, I was extremely tired. My dad and Brenda were constantly checking in on me but for just a second, I wish they wouldn't care. I appreciated their concern but I didn't have the energy to keep answering their questions. One thing though that I mustered up the energy to ask was a question towards Newt, whom of which was being helped by Fry.

"Newt." I groaned in pain and shortly after I saw the blondie and Fry beside me and Minho as he gently dropped me into a corner of the berg so I could rest my head. Fry dropped Newt right next to me while Brenda went searching for the med kit.

"What is it love?" He asked and I looked at him, wanting to take his hand but I didn't deserve it, but I wanted to. I wanted to so badly, but I'm the one that hurt him, I'm the one who sliced open his leg so that he couldn't walk and so his skin was pale from the loss of blood.

I guess Newt noticed the fight going on inside of my head, so he leaned over and wrapped his arm around my weak shoulders. The boy held me close until Brenda had fetched the med kit and was taking out the supplies she was going to need to stitch the boy back up.

"I am so sorry." I told him but Newt shook his head.

"Don't be, I'm just happy that your alive and well." He said, gritting his teeth as Brenda began working on his leg wound.

"Hey (Y/n), you feeling okay?" Gally asked but really I wasn't, I knew he could tell that I wasn't feeling okay. It wasn't that I was in pain, even though I was, but the overwhelming drowsiness took over my body, making it harder and harder to stay awake.

"It's the serum." Brenda answered as she continued stitching up Newt's leg. "It's having some kind of effect on her."

"We need that cure."

"And Tommy'll get it, just have some- agh bloody hell!" Newt winced as Brenda began finishing up on his leg gash.

"Vince?" I questioned as I saw the man talking to my father, and for a second I didn't actually think it was him, that maybe I was hallucinating, but I wasn't. The man turned to look at me and gave a slight nod to indicate that he had acknowledged me. He was the last person I expected to see here, but yet he came for us. We must have had one major impact on that man for him to care enough.

"We were just as shocked as you." Fry said as he stood with Minho and Gally, looking down at me and Newt.

My eyelids started getting heavy, as was my head, and I couldn't stop myself before my head slid down and rested against Newt's shoulders. He didn't flinch and he didn't move, only rested his own head on mine.

"We're gonna get out of this." Minho said it as more of a question then a statement.

"We're gonna get out of this." Fry said more proudly and full of certain which made me feel better.

"Yeah, we better." Brenda said as she tied up the last of Newt's stitchings, now wrapping a bandage around his leg.

I took a deep breath and let the world of chaos drain out my mind, the darkness of the corner making me even more tired. I didn't care what they said, I was going to let my eyelids fall. So I did.

I woke up to a stinging pain radiating through my body like standing in a fire, obviously it was the Flare. I was still leaning against Newt whom of which was wide awake, having a conversation with Gally while the others were all doing their own thing. I could hear what they were saying but I was still incredibly drowsy.