Part Thirty-One: Crashing Waves Of Freedom

"(Y/n), what happened to you?!" My mother screamed as I ran back to the house from way back in the backyard where I couldn't be seen. I was covered head to toe in mud and my dog came galloping in behind me. I had a mischievous smile across my face but my mom was not happy.

"Me and Puppy went on an adventure!" I told her with my white teeth contrasting against the brown mud smeared across my face. She couldn't stay mad at me, never could, so when she saw my father coming over to us, she saw an opportunity.

"Jorge, tell you daughter that she can't go rolling in mud when dinner is almost ready." She complained as my father finished wiping the grease off of his hands.

"(Y/n)," my dad started and now I thought I was in trouble, that was until he came up running, throwing my little body over his shoulder with a massive laugh. "Your mother's right, you only roll in the mud if you know you can get away with it! Always have have a back up, a cover up."

"Jorge, that's not what I meant." She said flatly but the man cackled loudly.

"Alright alright." He said, dropping to the ground. My dad then knelt down beside me, his knees stuck in the muddy dirt, which seemed to give him an idea. "Listen (Y/n), when you decide to play with mud." He said, taking a scoop of it in his big hands. "Make sure you invite the whole family!" He cried as he got up quickly, slamming the mud all over my mother who didn't have time to react.

She spit some of the mud out of her mouth and glared at my father and me as we rolled around in utter laughter. Then, I caught my mother smirk as she stared at us.

"Fine." She said, backing up to our tiny little yellow house atop the hill. "If you want to play dirty, then so will I."

"Mi amor, I think we should start to run." My father said but soon after he said this, my mother came running towards us with her long garden hose, shooting us as we ran off screaming.

We all laughed like there was no tomorrow, my dog running at my feee and barking with excitement as the water soaked our entire body. These were the good times. These were the innocent times. These were the times that I would cherish forever.

The yellow house on the hill, the giant garage, the huge backyard, the soft green grass, the laugh of my mother and the wide smile of my father. These were all things I was going to choose to hold close to my heart as its images all started fading away.

I woke up with a gasp and in a cold sweat, tears streaming down my face as I desperately tried to regain myself after the weird sensation that just filled my body. I screamed once but when the warm arms of someone wrapped around my body, shushing me, I started to find my calm again. I fought only for a few seconds before I gave in to the embrace, finally stopping.

I was in a tent, sitting in a cot with medical supplies scattered around on tables. There was another cot next to mine but it was empty of anyone, some blankets sitting perfectly folded. The light of day streamed through the open doors of the tent and the sound of crashing waves filled my ears.

I looked back and my eyes met a boy with deep brown eyes and the most beautiful hair I had ever seen. Only one man had hair like this, and it was the boy I had fallen head over heals for.

"Minho?" I questioned, hugging tightly now that I had regained myself. He hugged me back tightly, rocking me back and forth with a little sniffle as if...

"Wait, are you crying?" I asked, pulling from the boy and watching as he wiped his eyes quickly, thinking I couldn't see it.

"What? No! Your crying." He said not so convincingly, but I was going to let him believe that I believed his word. I hugged him tightly again, my lips finding their way to his, softly pressing them together. His warm breath ran down my neck as our lips moved in sync with each other, giving me a warm feeling inside. When I backed away only slightly so that our noses were touching, I placed both of my hands on the boy's cheeks.