Chapter 8

You slide down to the floor, hugging your knees to your chest. It's cold. It's dark.

How are you gonna get out of this?

Then suddenly, you hear soft voices whispering.

"Another one............"

"Another one............."

You look up and sharply inhale. "Hello?! W-who's there?!" You ask, voice shaking.

"Shh......................"

"Hush...................."

"It might be listening........"

"It?" You ask, looking at a small glow coming from the corner of the small dark room. You see a small bed with a filthy, thin white sheet covering whatever is making the glow. "Do you mean the... the Alternate Bleck?"

You slowly approach the bed and grab the sheet. Then, you take a breath and pull it off, gasping at the sight under it.

Inside are two empty-looking pixls. A top hat and a butterfly. They're huddled together and shivering. They are greyish white transparent color, like ghosts. Their voices also echo. It's unsettling, to say the least.

"Who..." You start, a horrified look on your face. "Who are you?"

The top hat exchanges glances with the butterfly, then floats upwards. "Don't remember our names..." He starts, floating next to you. "Don't even remember who we were........"

The butterfly floats up as well, but her wings don't flutter. She just... floats. It looks unnatural.

"Why are you here?" You ask, shivering as they gently float up and down. Their voices are cold and empty, a permanent almost sad quality to them.

"The Mangeur," They whisper in unison.

The butterfly begins to circle you, flickering slightly as she speaks. She looks almost like Tippi, but no color. No life. "It spied on our lives... through the little doll's eyes,"

The top hat suddenly popped up next to you, floating upwards. "Through the eyes on the wall....and saw that we weren't happy...."

"So it lured us away.... offering everything we ever wanted." The butterfly continues. The top hat floats next to her and adds on, "It gave all that we asked...."

"But we still wanted more," They both say.

"So, we let it sow the gems, binding us to this world..." The top hat murmurs, floating through your head, making you wince as you feel a chill run through your body. You shiver and cover your mouth as the two ghost pixls float around.

"It said it loved us..." They say in unison. "But it locked us here... and ate up our lives..."

"The only thing I remember," the top hat whispers, "Was the feeling of the needle plunging into my eye, and the pain of it ripping my life away, leaving me hollow...."

You shiver and bring a hand to your own eye.

"Well," You manage to say eventually, swallowing. "He can't keep me in the dark forever. Not if he wants to win my life."

You walk towards the mirror and rest your back on it, facing the ghosts. "Beating him... is my only hope."

They both pause a moment before the top hat floats closer to you. "Perhaps... if you do win your escape, you could find our eyes."