Chapter 16

"DIMENTIO! HELP!"

You shiver.

The Alternate L is gone. 

His feelings came from the real ones.

So why are you even stopping to think about this??

You can't let him go!

"L!" You shout, as the hand prepares to knock his other hand away. You immediately run up and grab it. It squirms around, prying and scratching at you. You let out a scream as it stabs into your shoulder and let go. It circles around you quickly, stabbing into your skin with each step.

"Dimentio...." You hear Bleck's voice call from the tunnel in a smooth voice, causing both you and Mr. L to look down and gasp.

"Come home," He whispers.

You shake your head as the hand quickly grasps around your neck and squeezes tightly, causing you to sink to your knees and grasp at your throat.

"N...No," You whisper. 

You look at L, who's brought his other hand up, but is still on the verge of falling to his doom.

Then comes the memory of when the Alternate L took you out onto the roof. To that plank. You were afraid of him falling there too.

But... that was a different kind of fear.

And you remember his fear. His fear when he shoved you through that door, leaving him alone with that monster. He was afraid, but he did it to save you.

And suddenly you're not afraid anymore.

"Not afraid," you whisper.

You immediately pick yourself up and grab a nearby rock, slamming it down onto the hand, right on your neck, breaking the metal to pieces.

You wince and gasp for breath. That hurt a lot more than you expected it to. You shiver, taking a moment to catch your breath, before remembering.

"L!" You cry, immediately getting up and sprinting to him. You grab his hand and pull him back, kicking the door shut and grabbing the key, locking it forever.

There's a terrified look in his eyes and he's shaking. You can see scratch marks from the metal hand on his ankle, cutting through his already ripped pants. But that doesn't matter. As soon as he's safe, you pull him into a tight hug, tears forming.

"I don't want to be alone anymore," You whisper. "L, I don't want to be alone."

He doesn't say anything.

Why...

Why isn't he saying anything?!

"I..." You start. "Please talk, L. You have a lovely voice, s-so please talk."

He seems initially shocked by the hug, but slowly hugs back. 

"I...." He starts, and you let out a sigh of relief. Thank Grambi.

"What would you like me to say?" He asks.

"Anything. Just please, talk."

You're still shaking. You're pretty sure he can tell.

He pauses.

"It's alright," He soothes. "I'm not going anywhere. I'll listen to you."

You nod as you sob into his shoulder, hugging him tightly.

"Hey, L?" You ask quietly through sobs. "Do you... do you like the stars?"

"The stars?" He asks. "Well, yeah. They're fascinating. When you think of all the other galaxies and solar systems. All the infinite possibilities... it's hard not to be intrigued. You know, if I wasn't busy helping the Count, I'd probably spend my time making my brobot more suited for travel and less for fighting. Then, if I had the time, I'd probably want to go places. I was actually planning on doing that once we all won and rid the world of all the bad, but then I died."