Chapter 2

5 Days Earlier

5 Days Earlier

Heels clicked on the marble floor as everyone in the large company building glanced and whispered at the source.

An elegantly dressed woman walked through the main office. In one hand, she held a briefcase, and in the other, a paper bag. Everyone recognized the beautiful woman—she was the CEO of this building and many others.

"Good morning, Ms. Kaneshiro." Her receptionist, Hiromi, bows as she walks past. Hotaru only nods as she walks to the elevator. Hiromi has been working for Hotaru for five years, and she's glad she hired her. She was very hard working and always did her job perfectly.

Hotaru reaches the elevator, clicks the button, and waits—she then looks down at her watch. She had a meeting in a few hours but first, she needed to eat.

The elevator dinged and opened, revealing a few people who all stiffened as they saw her— their boss. Her expression was unreadable—most people couldn't tell whether she was angry or not.

Well— until she fired you and had you escorted out of the building.

Hotaru was not an unfair person, however. Anyone who has ever been fired by her certainly deserved it. Hotaru acknowledges no one as she steps into the elevator.

"U-um, w-which floor, Ms. Kaneshiro?" A woman stutters. Hotaru glances at her, making the poor woman flinch and shake.

Hotaru was an alpha— and not just any alpha. A true alpha, one of the rarest statuses in the world. Her scent was naturally strong, and Hotaru learned at a very young age how to control it. That didn't make her less intimidating though. Hotaru was seen as scary, cold, and mysterious by most of her employees.

Hotaru honestly just wanted to sigh when they acted like this.

She's never done anything to any of her workers— at least those who didn't deserve it. She cared about all of her workers, but she didn't care what they saw her as. As long as she did their job, Hotaru had no reason to fire them or be angry at them.

"Floor 100," She replies, her voice silky and sweet. It was so lovely and made everyone in the elevator want to hear it again. The woman blushes, nods, and presses the floor. The doors close and the elevator begins to ascend.

Many people were scared of Hotaru— but most people desired her. They didnt care that she was a true alpha that could dominate them. They wanted her for her beauty, her money, her fame—but not for her. They thought she was stupid and naive because she came from the richest family in the world.

Hotaru had no time to think about any of them, even though it definitely seemed like a clique to her. Hotaru was not your typical CEO. She didn't sit in her office or vacation home and let others handle everything. She worked just like everyone else. Hotaru could practically hear her father lecturing her about how she wasn't fit to be CEO—even after he'd spent his entire life trying to make her perfect. But she still wasn't good enough.