Chapter 21

"Talking"

'Thinking'

Dream

Alpha Command

2 Days Later

Nox swept his kitchen floor as he unconsciously hummed a melody. These last few days had been nothing but peaceful, and Hotaru received daily calls about Victoria's condition. Nox was happy to hear that she was recovering fast, and he could tell how important their relationship was to Hotaru.

Thinking of his parents sent a shiver down Nox's spine, and he quickly pushed those thoughts aside. He scooted the chair to the left and swept the area.

Despite her busy work schedule, Hotaru still made time for Nox. He felt strange waking up to her smile, having breakfast in bed, receiving flowers, and having dinner together. Nox still couldn't believe that it was real. He felt like he was living in a dream and worried that it might all disappear in an instant.

Being around Hotaru made Nox feel calmer, happier, and safer. He was more aware of everything when he was with her. However, he forgot about an important thing the doctor had talked to him about during his last check-up.

Nox's heat was due to come any moment. He had never experienced it before and didn't know what to expect. Although he had read about it briefly in books, experiencing it first-hand was different. He wondered if he was supposed to spend it with Hotaru, but he didn't want to force her into anything. The doctor had warned him that even the sanest of alphas could lose control during their heat, and Nox didn't want to risk hurting Hotaru.

'That's not right. I don't want to force anyone to be with me,' Nox thought to himself.

Dumping the trash into the bin, Nox put the broom and dustpan into the pantry. He stretched and smelled the air around him, filled with Hotaru's scent, making his omega heart warm. The idea of her living with him delighted him, but he knew he had to be careful during his heat.

Glancing around at the various objects scattered throughout the space, Nox's eyes landed on his bookcase, which was filled to the brim with books of every genre imaginable. He walked over to the case, running his fingers along the spines of the books as he tried to decide what to read. He didn't have much to do, so it seemed like a good way to pass the time.

After a few moments, his eyes settled on a book that he had read before, but had always enjoyed. It was a romance novel about an omega girl and an omega boy in the 1940s. Nox pulled the book off the shelf and walked over to his couch, settling down and getting comfortable.

As he opened the book and began to read, Loki jumped up onto his lap, curling up and purring contentedly. Nox absentmindedly stroked Loki's fur as he read.

The book took him back to a time and place that he had never experienced firsthand but that he had always found fascinating. The details of the era were vividly depicted in the pages of the book, from the clothing to the music to the social norms of the time.