Memory

"M-M-Matsuda?"

I looked at Matsuda in shock, what's going on?!

"Yeah, that's me, we're working on this case together as partners."
"B-but how?"
"Well, since your new the Rosaline decided we should work together since I have more experience, that way I can teach you as we go. Rosaline the one who organized it all."
"That's not what I meant, I mean how long have you been here for? How did you get here?"
"I got here the same time as you, we met in the elevator, remember?"
"But what about the Kira-case? Don't you remember?"
"Kira-case?"
He asked me, clearly confused.
"I don't recall being on a Kira-case, maybe you have me confused with someone else?"
"N-no I haven't!"
I shook my head frantically,
"We've defiantly met before! You and I were-"

"Could everyone please be seated, we will now begin with the investigation."
Roszilla's loud voice cut me off.

Matsuda sat down at the desk next to me, pulling out his laptop, getting ready to take notes.

"M-Matsuda?"
I muttered sadly.

Has he really forgotten about me? Sure it's been 8 years, but he doesn't look like he's aged at all. He still looks like his in his late 20s or early 30s, just like when I left them. I, however, do look a lot different to when we last met, I was shorter with brown hair back then. Now my hairs gone back to it's natural color and all, but he knows my name is Mirai and I even asked him about the Kira-case, how could he have forgotten all that? It just doesn't add up!

Was I really that unimportant to him that he forgot so quickly?

What about the others? Are they here too? Have they forgotten?

With shaking hands, I picked up my pencil and began to take notes on the investigation as Roszilla began to drone on monotonously about things that were already obvious in the investigation.

**********❶❷:❸⓿🅟🅜**************
"Ok everyone, you now all have a half an hour lunch break, after that please report black here so that we can continue with the investigation, I'm pleased to say we've already made exceptional progress."

Roszilla dismissed us, I remained seated while the other detectives around me got up to go and get some lunch.

I still could hardly believe that Matsuda was actually here, I'd spent years wishing, praying that he and the others would come, but eventually gave up hope, deciding it was for the best. But now that he was here, he didn't remember me. Perhaps that's even worse than not even being able to see him, it's like the friendship we once had has just....gone, like a distant memory that only I have. And it hurts. It hurts so much to know that someone who I had been so close to for so many years in another dimension, has come again, only to have no idea who I am.

"Hey Mirai,"
Matsuda got up from his seat, stretching,
"Are you going to go and get some lunch? I know a really good café just down the road if you want to come."
He offered, oblivious to how hurt I was currently feeling.
"Ah, sure, ok."

I hadn't made any plans for lunch with Angela, she probably would spend lunch with her partner as well. Maybe the more time I spend with Matsuda, the more he'll remember me. Well, I hope anyway, I can't bare for this to go on any longer than I need to.

I shoved my notebook and folder into my backpack and followed Matsuda out the door into the hallway.

"Are you sure you can handle getting into the elevator this time?"
Matsuda joked when we got to it,
"Hahaha, last time I heard that I laughed so hard I fell off my dinosaur."
I replied sarcastically as I fished my name tag out of my backpack.

I wiped it across the blue light and anxiously waited for it to turn green.

"ᖱ!ℵ❡"

The light turned green and the elevator doors instantly opened.

"Yes!"
I couldn't help but blurt out triumphantly as they opened, behind me I could hear Matsuda laughing. All I did was grin and enter the elevator with a feeling of accomplishment bubbling up inside me.

The café Matsuda had spoken of was quite literally a couple of doors down from headquarters.

As we sat down and began to skim over the menu I had a sudden feeling of Déjà-vu, this reminded me so much of the time when me and Matsuda had first met; he had been following me because he thought I was Kira, of course he was a terrible stalker so I instantly knew he was there. Once he accused me of being Kira I promised to explain myself at a local café because of the privacy it gave its customers.

That's how we met, we sat down at a café just like this and whilst sipping coffee we discussed the Kira-case, only this time it was the Dinaw-Deaths case that we were discussing.

"That's strange...."
Matsuda muttered softly under his breath.

"What's strange?"
I asked, curious.

"Oh it's nothing, just a weird sense of Déjà-vu, that's all."

Wait, is he starting to remember?

"When have you last done something like this?"
I asked him hopefully.

"I can't quite- ahhh!"

Matsuda held his head in his hands in pain.

"What's wrong?!"
I asked, getting up suddenly, almost knocking my iced-coffee over.

"Don't worry, I just got a really bad headache just then, I'm fine really."
He said, rubbing his head.
"Oh, ok."
I said disappointedly as I sat back down in my seat.

So he gets headaches when he tries to remember, huh? I wonder why...

We finished our food then got up, we had five minutes to get back to headquarters or they'll lock us out so we'd better hurry!