Confusion

I stared out the car window aimlessly as we zoomed down the freeway towards the town, watching the world pass by in the blur. As we entered the small suburb I began to take notice of the familiar shops and locations from my childhood, a wave of memories hit me all at once. Off to my right was my old primary school, its green gates closed, it was the weekend so they wouldn't open again until Monday when the students would arrive to face another long week at school. As the car continued on we passed by the shops where I used to walk to from my house to buy ice cream during the summer or get an iced coffee from the fish 'n' chip shop next door.

We spent a couple of hours asking the residents about the disappearances, none seemed to want to talk about it and brushed us off in annoyance, I guess the media had already swamped the place over the last couple of months and got on the towns people's nerves. 

We drove to the outskirts of the town, coming to a halt outside a rundown, abandoned house. Every single one of its windows either had a crack in them or had been shattered completely. Graffiti covered the place like a thick layer of paint with colourful words that I'd rather not mention. The front yard was a mess, junk lay in piles throughout it and overgrown weeds and tall grass made it impossible to get to the front door, if you could even call it that. There wasn't even a door there anymore, it looked as though someone had come along and simply ripped the door off its hinges. The house itself seemed to sway in the wind, like it would collapse the second the wind got any stronger.

We'd heard from a couple of local kids that they'd seen some suspicious activity around this house, though they'd also said it was haunted so I couldn't be sure how legitimate their observations were, it seemed like too much of an obvious place for a criminal to hide.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆A million years later★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
(Jk it was only 30mins)

I yawned, how much longer is this going to take? There's a possibility that the stupid criminal won't make their move until sometime tonight and I really don't want to have to sit here for another 12hours or so.

"ᏴᎪᎷ"

Our head jerked towards the source of the noise, it had erupted from inside the house across the street to us, which could only mean one thing. Without thinking I got out of the car and sprinted over to it,

"Hey Mirai! Wait!"
Matsuda called after me, but I kept going anyway, determined to find the kidnapper. I ran through the front door and down the corridor, leaping over the holes in the floorboards as I went, this house really was old. The paper the walls had turned yellow and were beginning to peel, dust covered the entire place like a blanket that had been undisturbed for years. I was so close to cracking this case that I-

"Crap!"

I had been so lost in the moment that I had run straight into someone who had been walking down the hall, on their way out the door. I fell back on my butt, looking up at them angrily. The person I had run into was about my height with red hair, a pair of goggles covered their eyes, preventing me from seeing their eyes properly.

"What the-"

He looked up from his DS which he had been playing,
"Oh, sorry about that, are you ok?"

For a moment I just stared at him, frozen in shock. What on earth is going on here? Things went from starting to make sense, to making no sense at all in a matter of seconds!

"Here,"
He held out his hand and helped me up.

"T-thanks,"
I stuttered.This is impossible! There's no way!

"I should have been watching where I was going."
I added, brushing the dust off my jeans.
He smiled,
"Don't worry, I do that all the time."
"Hey Matt! Wait for me!"

I looked past him to see a very familiar blonde running down the hallway, holding a bar of chocolate.

"Who's that?"
He asked Matt, pointing to me. Normally I would be pissed if someone was that rude to me, but I was too stunned to say anything,

"I'm M-Mirai,"
Was all I could manage.