Call in the Task Force

I stared up at the skyscraper looming above me, the sun reflecting off its endless amount of glass windows. Watari had driven me here and now lead the way into the 5-star hotel where he explained to security that I was a friend of Ł's here to discuss classified matters, which is kind of true in a sense. He then departed saying to call if I needed anything. We had left Matsuda to look after the Wammy kids and keep them out of mischief, poor guy, I'll make it up to him later.

I was left waiting awkwardly in the lift as it zoomed its way to the top floor. I felt kind of out of place with the faded jeans and baggy top I was wearing among the other rich tourists who littered the hotel. They eyed me suspiciously as they exited the lift, I gulped as the doors closed and the lift continued on its way. I was the only one left now, apparently Ł had his own floor, although considering he's a world famous detective these measures are necessary.

I dashed out the lift before the doors were even fully opened and head towards the door to Ł room.

Knock, Knock

"Come in,"
A familiar voice responded,

I pushed open the door, greeted by a large living room. A huge window that pretty much took up the entire back wall overlooked the city. 2 expensive, modern couches sat opposite each other, a coffee table between the two. A single lounge chair stood at the head of the coffee table. Neatly stacked piles of paper covered the table as well as a vast selection of sweets. Ł sat in his usual crouched position, typing away his laptop. I wonder what case he's working on now...

Hearing me enter the room Ł looked up from his laptop. A hint of what could have been surprise flashed across his face, but was gone faster than it had come.
"Mirai?"
He asked, puzzled.
"It's a long story and right now I'm just as clueless as you."
I said briefly, he nodded,
"Start from the beginning."
He gestured to one of the couches, I walked over and sat down.

"As far as you guys know I left about a month ago right?"
He nodded,
"I have a possible theory on what happened, it may sound crazy but please hear me out."
"Go on,"
"Remember how I said that I came from a place where all this was just a TV show? When I left I went back there and although I had been here for a year or so, no time at all had passed since I left. My theory is that I came from another dimension and somehow got transported here. Like there's two dimensions yours and mine. When I came here for the first time it was like there was an earthquake or something, when I came here the second it was in a car crash, but I'll come back to that later. From what I've gathered the time between the two dimensions is unstable, what could be a month here could be over a decade back there or it even be a split second, it varies."

"So you've been going between dimensions..."

"Yeah, but not just me. At first I thought only I could do that, but I was wrong. Somehow Matsuda was in my dimension, but he had no idea who I was. He didn't even recognise me. I first met him when I was assigned to my first task force. The newbies were partnered up with experienced detectives, so we were partnered up together. I found a lead on the case we were solving so we went to a rundown house in my hometown. That's where I met Matt and Mello as well, they didn't have a clue how they got there. We saw this guy get in to a van and drive away. We followed him in a car chase only to end up speeding straight into a brick wall. After that, we woke up and found ourselves in the warehouse where I left you guys."

"I see, I can explain to you why Matsuda doesn't remember you. Shortly after your departure he was in a car a accident, as a result he suffered from selective amnesia."

"Selective amnesia?"

"It's a type of amnesia where only a certain part of the victims memory is lost. Matsuda forgot about the Kira case, including any memory of you. If you explain it to him he will remember parts of the ordeal only to have forgotten it by the next day."

"I see,"
I muttered, I'll admit it, I was a little sad that Matsuda had forgotten about me, but at least that explains one thing.

"Mirai, if you don't mind could you please tell me what the case you were solving was about?"

"Huh? To put it simply it was about a series of unexplained deaths occurring in my hometown."
Ł leant over and picked up his cell phone which had been lying on the table. I mentally cringed, the technology here was still a decade or so out of date.

"Watari,"
He said into it,
"Call in the task force we may have a lead."
"The task force as in?"
"Those from the Kira case."

----------------------------------

I finally updated, are ya proud of meh?