The End.

⋄⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋄

Returning to my realm meant less than a wave of a hand for Azure, the self proclaimed mage whose career I was finding more and more believably with each passing hour. That's not to say the weather got any better, it was in fact worse than before back in my home town. The trees swayed and the wind howled as if to warn the residents of the destruction promised if we were to fail.

Like a funeral procession Matsuda, Azure and I headed down the middle of the road, with no cars in sight the rain came down upon us. The windows of the houses we passed were lifeless, no sign of the brilliant light that once illuminated them. Now wasn't the time for doubt though, with no certain destination in mind we strode on to meet the end.

Overhead the crackle of thunder mocked us, I stopped a moment, raising my head to the sound, feeling the rain as it streamed down my face before joining the puddles in the road. I squinting through the downpour, barely able to make out the familiar figure in the distance, standing alone amidst it all. Calling out her name I ran to her,

"Angela! What are you doing out here?!"

"That's my line,"

She said crossly, folding her arms in front of her chest.

"After you took off I had to spend the rest of today typing up that report myself, you promised to help this time."

Sensing she was in no immediate danger I sighed,

"Sorry about that, I'll make it up to you. For now you need to get indoors, I'll explain everything when this is over."

She raised an eyebrow,

"What are you talking about? Where were you this whole time? Did you find anything concerning the case?"

"Yeah, you could say that."

I shifted uncertainly on my feet, we needed to find the monster fast. I felt as though a heavy sense of despair had swarmed around me, weighing down on my chest and constricting my breathing to little more than a gasp for air..

Angela huffed,

"This whole place is stupid, I can't believe I got sent to a place like this."

Her frown deepened as I smiled awkwardly,

"Don't say that,"

I said as I tried to steady my breathing,

"You know I grew up in this town, just being here feels so nostalgic. Reminds me of when we first met in school."

I laughed uneasily, the monster, it had to be close to here.

"Remember how we used to run around trying to solve imaginary cases?"

Angela rolled her eyes,

"That's not what bugs me though,"

Angela turned around to peer at our surroundings through the rain.

"This place, it's so.....fresh, so alive here. The people too, acting like they've not a care in the world."

I put a hand on Angela's shoulder,

"It's been a long day, if you just get some rest I'm sure you'll-"

"No! Don't you get it?"

Angela turned to me, something in her eyes had changed, a wild glint took place there.

"They don't deserve it! None of them do! How can they live so idly, so naive to the truth. Taking what they have for granted, as if they have somehow earned the comfort they are blessed!"