one

surprise. surprise. surprise. when have y'all EVER known me to just release a measly one book😭

this one here is dedicated to two people who helped with the creative process of both. my mutual on tiktok (@ssa.martina) and my lovely mutual ( eprcntiss  ) for being the first to suggest this plot🥰

buckle up! y'all are going to need it✨

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: minimal swearing
word count: 3320

Emily: "Beginnings are such delicate times." Frank Herbert.

Emily Prentiss at the age of nineteen made a decision that she would regret. She had snuck out of the house late and now was staring at her front door in broad daylight.

She was always a rebellious person. Her mother being a prominent ambassador, Emily was forced to grow up quickly if she wanted to survive. Both Prentiss women never saw eye to eye with anything. It was rare when the house was in a settled silence between the two. Screaming matches and slamming doors were heard more than they both cared to admit.

Emily took a deep breath and opened the door. She thought she had gotten away with sneaking out, that was until a throat being cleared was heard from her mother's study.

"Well, good morning," Elizabeth said sarcastically. Emily immediately rolled her eyes. This was, in fact, not going to be a good morning. "Where did you sneak off to late last night."

"I went with Johnny, if you must know," Emily said and dropped her coat by the door. "The only friend I have in this God awful country. I had to say my goodbyes to him before we left."

"Must you use that kind of language," Elizabeth mumbled as she kept her eyes down at the papers in front of her. "I believe Italy is a fabulous place."

"In your opinion," Emily mumbled as she dusted off her clothing. Elizabeth dropped the papers and turned to look at Emily.

"It's been fifteen seconds and you're already looking for a fight," Elizabeth said and clenched her jaw. "I believe you made a promise that you'd change during this gap year you're taking."

"Awe, mother. I'm sure if you just pray really hard maybe it'll fix it," Emily said sarcastically as she squeezed her hands together. Elizabeth was about to say something when Emily made her way up the stairs.

It was only a few more hours before they had to leave Italy. Emily favored to fight the second they got to the United States rather than having an awkward flight home. However, most fights cannot be stopped.

The raven-haired teenager walked into her room and shut the door behind her. Emily sighed as she leaned her back against the door and slowly sank to the floor. It had been hell living here in Italy. She loved the country once upon a time, now it just reminded her of Elizabeth and left a sour feelings with it.

The young Emily Prentiss had made a deal with her mother a few months ago. Emily agreed to take a gap year and help her mother while Elizabeth and Emily's father finalized their divorce. As exchange, Elizabeth promised to pay Emily's way through Yale so she could focus on her studies fully.

It sounded better in theory. In actuality, Emily was counting down the days until she'd be able to go off to college. The countdown was now at three months until the start of the fall semester. But, it's not like Emily was counting.

"Only three months left. Only three months left," Emily repeated under her breath. The teenager stood up and decided to open up the window in her bedroom. As much as Emily hated to admit it, Italy was breathtakingly beautiful. There were several nights the teenager would sit on the windowsill and get lost in the lights.