twelve

hello hello! i hope everyone is having a great weekend! this chapter was a doozy to write. i <3 enemies to lovers storylines so y'all know i had to😅

also! please answer the question at the end of this chapter. i want to hear everyone's opinion🫣

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: fighting, swearing, mentions of cheating
word count: 3527

JJ: "Sometimes, two people have to fall apart to realize how much they need to fall back together." Colleen Hoover.

"Good morning, Hotch," Derek said as the raven-haired man walked by their desks. He nodded his head in acknowledgment before walking up to his office. Aaron shut the door immediately behind him.

Derek sighed heavily as JJ, Spencer, and Penelope all walked into the bullpen. He smiled forcefully at the trio.

"I don't like that look," Penelope said as she handed Derek a coffee. JJ and Spencer looked over at each other with concerned looks.

"Hotch hasn't spoken in two days. He just sits in his new bare office and doesn't come out until six o'clock when it's time for us to go," Derek said and sat back in his chair. Penelope placed her hand on Derek's shoulder. "I just don't know what to think."

"He lost his job. I'd be upset too. Especially with Haley barking orders at him all the time about the wedding coming up," JJ said as she sat back onto Derek's desk. The group nodded their heads in agreement with JJ. "But it's not like we can give her the cold shoulder. She's the reason that the directors are even allowing the BAU to remain in operation."

The apparent married couple, at least according to Emily, were merely engaged. The wedding was scheduled to happen in the first week of April. Of course everyone was excited, but now that cheerful energy has dropped. Hotch only had one person to blame for this sudden stop.

"Good morning everyone," Emily said as she walked in. She dropped a box of assorted treats on Spencer's desk. "We'll be meeting in the conference room in a short while. Agent Jareau, will you come meet with me in my office?"

"Of course," JJ said and nodded her head. When Emily turned her back, JJ mouthed for the group to save her a chocolate croissant she managed to spot in the pink box. The two of them headed up towards her office without another word.

"Is she trying to buy our love now?" Penelope asked and looked over at the box. The trio all looked down at the box with just a small spark of curiosity. Penelope reached in and grabbed the chocolate croissant that was in there. "Just because I'm dabbling in the community treat box doesn't mean I like her. Even though she's perfect and has an amazing sense of fashion, and has a nice smile--"

Derek looked over at Spencer who had a confused look on his face as Penelope rambled on.

"--and don't even get me started on the cutest Louis Vuitton bag she has slung over her perfect shoulder--"

"Penelope," Derek said as he reached for the blonde woman. Feeling his hand on her arm is what made Penelope stop her rambling. "Breathe."

"She makes me so mad. Why does God have favorites? And why did he send the perfect one to us when I'm supposed to hate her," Penelope said and took a quick bite of the croissant in her hand. The blonde woman shut her eyes as she chewed the piece of croissant slowly. "These taste like they're from Firehook and if they are, she's the definition of perfect and I'll hate her even more."

"You're making me want one and I'm refraining out of protest," Spencer said as he kept his eye on the box. Derek placed his hand against his forehead before running it down his face.