fifteen

i'm completely exhausted so i didn't have time to proofread this chapter. i hope y'all are understanding that my classes are kicking my ass😭🙏

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: case talk, mentions of murder, physical assault, fighting, slight mentions of death
word count: 3520

Spencer: "The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury." Marcus Aurelius.

One Month Later:

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Come in!" Strauss yelled from the other side of the door. Emily walked in and shut the door behind her. The blonde woman took off her glasses as she looked at Emily. "Agent Prentiss. This is a surprise. What brings you here?"

"I have the monthly team report that you asked for," Emily said as she handed the file to Strauss. The blonde woman grabbed it and opened it. She saw the thorough reviews on each member. "I hope it's sufficient enough. I did as much detail work as I could. The team is finally coming around to me."

"I'll look into it more, but there's something else I'd like for you to do," Strauss said and gestured towards the chair. Emily looked around the office before sitting down hesitantly. She leaned back as Strauss dug through the top drawer of her desk. She pulled out a newspaper and handed Emily. The raven-haired woman saw the date from three months ago on it. "I need you and your team to investigate this series of murders in the DC area. Three men all murdered here and left out in the street. No eye witnesses, no camera footage, not even a fingerprint. The mayor and representatives of DC know about this and they want it cleaned up right away."

"And I'm just hearing about this now because?" Emily said as she looked up at Strauss through her eyelashes. The blonde woman clasped her hands together in front of her on the desk. "Three months is valuable time to solve a case, ma'am."

"There wasn't a confirmed pattern. I got off the phone with the director. He wants this case solved as quickly and quietly as possible, as do the mayor and congressman. All these men were wearing suits, so they feel as though their work attire might put them in a predicament. Consider this one of your final examinations. You have one foot out the door already, Agent Prentiss, I wouldn't mess it up with this case," Strauss said as she stood up. Emily clenched her jaw as she watched Strauss make her way over to her filing cabinet. "Just keep me updated on each step of your investigation with the BAU."

"I didn't realize I was under review. You came to me as a favor to clean up your team. I don't think my every move needs to be analyzed as well," Emily said as she looked over at Strauss. The older woman turned and tilted her head to the side.

"I hope you realize the hell I went through to have you here. You're wanted by practically every intelligent agency, but you came here. The director doubted you, but I assured him that you could get the BAU back on track. If this case goes bad, I'd need you to stay longer and clean up after your mess. Agent Hotchner is still no fit for a Unit Chief, and nobody else on this team seems to fit the role as well, including Derek Morgan. I know you have an eye out for him to take your place if Agent Hotchner is still unfit for this job. That only leaves me one option—"

"To hold me hostage here?" Emily asked sarcastically. Strauss crossed her arms as she looked down at Emily.

"I'm not holding you anywhere. You're always free to leave after your contract is up. Solve this case fast and it'll be another gold star on your report," Strauss said as she walked over to her chair once again. Emily felt like her eyes were looking into her soul. "I'm keeping you in top shape, Agent Prentiss. Not many agents have international agencies fighting over them. If it were my choice, I'd keep you here indefinitely. You're valuable, Agent Prentiss, but I need the best to come out of you working here. It's time you repaid the faith that I had in you with the director. Are we clear?"