THE CANNON

Finnicks POV

I'm awoken by a blood curdling scream, and my body goes ridged thinking it may be Delilah's.
The body that was once wrapped within my arms in no longer there, instead a familiar coldness replaces her presence.

I adjust my eye sight to the low lit jungle around me, before I'm interrupted by a hand pulling me to my feet.

Delilah.

Her wide eyes indicate that somethings terribly wrong, I quickly scan my vision over her making sure she's ok.

'RUN, THE FOG IS POISONESS' Katniss screams, clutching her hand to her chest in pain.

I don't need to be told twice.

I quickly pick up my trident, holding onto Delilahs hand as we set off for what feels like the race of life and death.

I pull her along, forcing her to keep up with my pace as we weave throughout the unforgiving jungle.

Branches, ferns and sticks hit, scratch and dig into my body as I take the brunt of most of it protecting Delilah.

I turn to run down hill, running on an angle to put as much distance as I possibly can between the white looming fog and Delilah.

My head snaps behind me, as I see Katniss struggling to keep Peeta upright. They stumble and fall more times than I can count, stressing me the fuck out.

'F-Finnick, you need to help them' Delilah stresses as I pull her down the hill.

'I need to stay with you' I return, practically dragging her to prevent the acidic fog from impaling her skin.

She rips out of my grip making me freak out,
'What are you doing!'

'Going to help Peeta!' She returns running back up the hill.

Lord help me.

I quickly catch her forcing her to look at me.

'You keep going, I'll help Peeta'

With that I turn my vision towards Peeta, setting off to throw the district 12 tribute over my shoulder.

I reach them in no time, wrapping his arm over my shoulder. Katniss looks at me in bewilderment, not knowing whether to trust me or not.

'I've got him, now go!' I yell as we all bolt down the hill.

Peeta slows me down, but I catch up to Delilah within no time. The fog seems to be closing in on us quicker and quicker with every step I take.

A piercing scream fills the scene as I see Delilah's back catch the front of the fog. I cringe internally at the sound of her in pain, I can't handle it.

It takes no time for her to scream again, this time Katniss adding to the mix. I look over to see white acid puss covering the side of her face, making it contort in agony.

I debate just dropping Peeta and going to her aid, and it takes everything in me not to.

I have to stick to the plan.

Just keep running
Just keep running.

Peeta has stopped moving his legs all together at this point, now fully relying on me to get him to safety. The white fog finally blankets over the back of my body, making me yell out and stumble in pain.

It's the pain of 1000 knifes stabbing into your back, though the sound of Delilahs screams make me feel something 100x worse.

I lose track of my feet as Peeta and I start to roll down the hill, going quicker than we originally were on foot. Another body collides with us, adding to our uncoordinated duo. Every stick, every rock adding to the excruciating pain as white blisters take over my body.

I land on my back in one big thud, Peeta and Katniss landing to my left and right. I try to move my head to find Delilah but any slight movement brings blinding pain.

I look up to see the unmerciful fog setting in on us, showing no signs of slowing down. My once strong and capable body is unrecognisable, twitching like a dead bug in pain.

The fog is only a couple of meters away as I just close my eyes, prepared to die. Only to never be reached with its violence.

My eyes burst open seeing that an invisible barrier has stopped it from reaching our twitching bodies. I feel a sense of comfort over take my body knowing we are safe, though it vanishes almost as quickly when I realise I can't see Delilah.

I can't physically move, my heart is in my throat as a million scenarios run through my head.
Each one worse than the last.

'DELILAH'

No response

'DELILAH'

No response again, I work myself up so much my brain starts shutting down, tears forming in my eyes.

I refuse to lose the girl I have spent three years loving without her knowing.

Tears brim in my eyes as my scratchy throat calls out for her again, 'DELILAH'

No response, the only sound I get in return is the familiar sound of something only happening in my worst nightmare.

A cannon.

👀 I'm sorry for the cliff hanger....

Love u all xx
Thoughts on Finnicks pov?

All The Love - DD