Chapter 7

AT THE PALACE

While people are participating in the karaoke, Cash called for his two sons for something important

Cash: Boys, this is your ticket to the big time *starts to open the letter from Majesty Records*

Seb: *containing excitement*

Antoine: what's it say what's it say?

Cash: *starts to read the letter out loud* Thank you for sending your demo material to Majesty Records for consideration, presently a demo package is one of a quantity of exemplary material that was submitted to our offices, we regret to inform you, you did not qualify for the Majesty Records talent contest.

All three of them look disappointed, and Cash is desperate to find something else, only to find they sent back the Anteb demo CD.

Seb: *holds hand slightly up trying to comfort Antione*

Antoine: This is your fault *puts Seb in a headlock*

Seb: *while in headlock* You're my brother *still struggles* I love you

Antoine: I love you too *takes down Seb to the floor*

Cash: *crumbles paper and storms out of office*

THE NEXT DAY

EJ is leaving the Majesty Records building arriving in time to get on the bus waiting outside of the building, as the door closes, the bus leaves and another car follows behind it, and keeps following EJ up to Ashlyn's.

Mazzara: and why are we following this kid?

Ricky: *sigh* I don't know, there's just something about him

Mazzara: *playing with him a bit* OMG, he's so dreamy

Ricky: *slightly smiles at that* just keep the engine running

INSIDE THE SHOP

Ashlyn: EJ

EJ takes out a bigger amount of money than last time

Ashlyn: ...what you do Eej, sold a body part?

EJ: *proudly smiling* I got a job

Ashlyn: *puts the money away* you keep up payments like this and that piano will be yours 5 years tops

EJ: *happy about that, walks to the piano* So, what can I play for you today Ash?

Ashlyn: *thinks about it* play Perfect Harmony again *slightly smiles*

EJ: for a hundred dollars *Ashlyn is not amused* here's Perfect Harmony, going out to the one and only Ashlyn *starts playing the intro to the song*

Ricky: Not bad for a janitor

EJ: Th-thanks I uh, I was just messing around... wait, why are you here anyway, you followed me here?

Ricky: *chuckle* I didn't follow you I was just *laugh*... *looks around* looking for some creepy stuff for my room *sees a moose head wearing a hat*

EJ: Uh-huh

Ricky: what are you doing here? You come to some pawn shop to play a ratty old piano? *laughs* what's that about?

EJ: it's my mom's

Ricky: *clears throat* and more gorgeous it cannot be *nervous smile*

EJ: *scoff* thanks *makes room for Ricky to sit next to him* I should say it was my mom's, once upon a time

Ricky: so, your mom's gone?

EJ: *nods* mm-hmm, my uh my stepdad used the piano money to buy a karaoke machine

Ricky: sorry EJ *EJ plays some random chords* why don't you let a professional handle this *EJ chuckles, and Ricky plays a few notes from a random song* (the song is called Things Aren't Always What They Seem, it's actually not bad, if you want to here the intro to that one, play the next video on 1:11)

Ricky: My mom died too

EJ: I'm sorry, I didn't know

Ricky: *to lighten the mood a bit* how could you? I don't wear the "My mom died" T-shirt much these days.

EJ: you have one too?

Ricky: It's good to talk to somebody who understands *EJ nods and goes back to playing Perfect Harmony* (I need to say that it's one of my favorite songs in the soundtrack of this movie)

Perfect Harmony (this one starts at 1:32 in the video):

When I first saw you, I didn't know what to think
But something about you was so interesting
I can see me and you being best friends
The kind of friends that finish each other sentences

RJ: When I can't think of the right words to say
I just sing oh, woah wo-oa-oah, oh, woah wo-oa-oah
Come on and harmonize with my melody and we'll sing
oh, woah wo-oa-oah, ain't it a Perfect Harmony

EJ: that was fun, what were you playing before?

Ricky: ah, that was just a little bit of a song I wrote

EJ: so those were your songs I got all wet the other day...

Ricky: *reaches for his bag* don't worry, *takes out his notebook* they stayed all in one piece

EJ: *looks over but backs out a little bit* Can I? *Ricky hands him the pages and he starts to read them* these lyrics are great, why haven't I heard you sing songs like this?

Ricky: yeah right, my dad would go nuts. They don't exactly fit the "Ricky Bowen" brand, but maybe someday I will

EJ: *stands up from the bench* no, you need to do it today *walks towards the door*. I wanna take you someplace, you trust me?

Ricky: ever since I was a little boy, my dad always told me "Ricky, trust the janitor" *EJ smiles but is not amused by the joke while Ricky smiles* I trust you.

They both get ready to leave the shop but...

Ashlyn: Ricky Bowen *hands a little notebook* for my friend *Ricky smiles as he starts to give the autograph, while EJ suspects* make it out to Ashlyn *both look up to Ashlyn* for my friend *she reassures* ...named Ashlyn *they all laugh and Ricky hands the notebook*

After they exit, Mazzara is ready to open the door for Ricky and possibly EJ, but EJ has an idea

EJ: mm-mm-mm prince, subway is one block away *Ricky looks to Ben*

Mazzara: Ricky, your dad's not gonna like it

Ricky: he's also not gonna like you using his Yankee tickets without him knowing

Mazzara: you two enjoy yourselves *he gets in the car, while EJ and Ricky start walking*

EJ: You're gonna need this *takes off hat andplaces it on Ricky's head*

Just to clarify, I think that Ricky's bag in this story would be something similar to this one, but being able to placing it on the side rather than on the back and slightly bigger as well (It's the closest I could find to what I thought)