.:19:.

Daisy found Vivienne in the corridor during her journey to McGonagall's office. Vivienne smiled at her and asked her how Neville was. 

"Don't speak with me. We aren't friends."

"I'm not asking to be friends. I was asking how Neville was."

"Yeah, I heard you."

Vivienne sighed and began stalking away, her high heels clacking against the floor.

"You'd be a much better person if you stuck up for other people the way you did Neville."

Vivienne stopped her departure. "What?"

"You can't pick and choose who you are nice to just because you fancy them."

Vivienne spluttered out a laugh and turned round, desperate to prove to Daisy how wrong she was. But she wasn't. Not really. "I don't fancy him!"

"Really? So why do you still go to his Herbology lessons when you scored even higher than him in the assignment. I saw your score over your shoulder last lesson," Daisy answered Vivienne's confused expression asked her. 

"He's a good listener," Vivienne uttered eventually. 

"Glad to hear my best friend has some uses to you."

"It's not really any of your business, you're not his owner."

Daisy scoffed and folded her arms.

"Do you want to know what I think, Daisy?" Vivienne's eyes narrowed until they were slit like a snake's.

"Not really but I'm sure you're going to tell me."

"You're in love with him and are only just realising that now he's showing interest in someone else. Someone much prettier than you, might I add."

Daisy was left speechless and Vivienne smirked triumphantly. Daisy was just about to respond when McGonagall swept into view, claiming she had came looking for her. Daisy followed the deputy head, taking time to ensure she glared at Vivienne. She smiled and waved in response, which made Daisy's stomach churn. McGonagall's office was neatly presented and they both took a seat on an old, ornate table in the corner of the moonlit room. 

"Have a biscuit," she offered. 

Daisy leaned forward and swiped the whole jar. Immediately, she began stuffing her face, devouring the sweet taste of chocolate.

"Daisy, why don't you have middle fingers?"

"Umbridge," she responded simply, in between bites, as she sprayed McGonnagall's desk with chewed up biscuit.

McGonnagall's lined face screwed up in disgust as she rapidly cleaned her desk. "Umbridge? My, my, she is really getting out of hand. No pun intended."

"Can't you do something about her?"

McGonnagall shook her head, her witches hat wobbling as she did so. "I better watch what I say, she has eyes everywhere. I don't want to lose my job." Paranoia caused her to turn round, in the unlikely event that Umbridge was stood behind her.  Daisy hated how much power Umbridge had - even the teachers were scared of her!

"She can do that?" Daisy asked, tapping the jar to signal that she wanted McGonagall to refill it. She completed the girl's request with a wave of her wand. Nodding darkly, McGonagall claimed she had said too much and began asking Daisy to explain what happened earlier at Hogsmeade. 

After having to recount the story several times, McGonagall dismissed Daisy as the night grew darker. Daisy decided to take the jar of biscuits with her, not before asking McGonagall to refill it. As she walked back towards the hospital wing, she assured herself that her very bad day warranted the rapid consumption of the stolen goods. By the time she reached Neville, he was sleeping deeply.

"He's asleep," whispered Pomfrey sharply, coming out of her office.

"I can see that."

"Where have your middle fingers gone?"

"Umbridge took them away."

"And a good old fashioned detention wouldn't suffice? Wait there, I've got something that will help." She tutted at Umbridge's behaviour before shuffling off back into her office. Daisy looked at Neville. His bare chest was rising and falling with each deep breath. The corners of his mouth twitched as Daisy gently touched his hand. He looked peaceful, illuminated by the moonlight and tucked under a layer of blankets. He looked so beautiful yet he had no idea. Daisy wanted to be next to him, her face buried in his chest like it was earlier. 

"Why are you just watching him sleep?" breathed Madame Pomfrey. She had resurfaced, clutching a bottle of a golden liquid. Her sudden reappearance had made her jump. 

Embarrassed, she shrugged, hoping the nurse couldn't see how violently red her face had grown. She tore away her eyes from Neville and met her gaze. Her eyes were twinkling knowingly as she took her hand and began applying the liquid. Once her middle fingers had fully regenerated, Daisy thanked the nurse and departed the ward with one last look at Neville. As the door closed behind her, she realised she had forgot her biscuits and darted back inside to retrieve them. Her mind was whirring enough to keep her awake so she prolonged her stroll up to her dorm. Her heart longed for Neville the second she was away from him. And then it hit her like a ton of bricks.

She was desperately in love with him. It was so painfully obvious but she remained oblivious for so long. It all started to make sense, too quickly, in a way that made her doubt how much she really knew herself. She inhaled a shaky breath, the sudden realisation was causing her chest to constrict. What was she doing? She had a boyfriend! So why did it hurt so bad that he wanted Vivienne and not her? Uncertainty and confusion washed over her, she had no idea what to do. One thing she knew for certain was that she absolutely couldn't lose Neville.