.:26:.

"I wish we could continue the DA over the holidays." Ginny's groan was accompanied by several murmurs of agreement.

This was their final meeting before Christmas. Usually, the students were excited and desperate to begin their holidays. But, whether it was the looming sense of danger or the sense of community, most pupils wanted to stay in school and continue attending the DA meetings. 

"We all need to have a good rest during the break. And make sure to do some studying," Hermione added sternly.

Ron rolled his eyes. "Give it a rest, Hermione, it's Christmas."

"Not yet it isn't," she bickered back, folding her arms in protest. The two continued a futile argument, that didn't seem to have a root or purpose. Neville fell into stride with Daisy as they left the room of requirements, but Vivienne and Velma caught up with them.

"Are you excited for Christmas?" Neville asked conversationally, anxious that the two girls would copy Ron and Hermione and begin bickering.

"No," answered Daisy.

"Do you get excited about anything?" scoffed Vivienne, disguising the dig with a hearty laugh.

Daisy pantomimed being deep in thought. "No. No I don't."

Vivienne rolled her violet eyes and tutted through glossed lips.

"You see," continued Daisy in a tone that was quickly growing frosty. "When your sister dies it kind of puts a downer on, like, everything."

Neville instantly regretted asking the question. Of course she wouldn't enjoy Christmas. He was her only friend and she had no family. It was her first Christmas without Emmeline. He shuffled his feet, hoping Vivienne wouldn't pry and Daisy wouldn't keep talking.

"Daisy, can I just say something insightful that we're all thinking?" Velma spoke up suddenly.

"Knock yourself out," Daisy answered, slightly bemused to find out what the girl wanted to say.

"Why would I do that?" Velma gasped.

Daisy paused and then realised she had taken it literally. "It might knock some brains into you." She continued taunting her.

"Really?" Velma asked excitedly.

"No, it's a phrase. What were you going to say?"

Velma paused and looked around as though she wasn't quite sure where she was until comprehension dawned on her. "Oh yeah, everyone thinks you're scary but I don't."

Daisy arched a pencilled brow. "Is that all?"

"No, no. I also think everyone hates you. And they're sick of you talking about your dead sister. We all know dead people. My hamster died last year and you don't hear me crying about it in public, do you? I think you just need to get over it now and stop using it as an excuse to be mean and scary."

Daisy looked as though she had been slapped. She wished she had. Physical pain was always much easier to deal with.

"I can continue if you want to hear more," Velma said.

"No, I think you've said enough," Neville snapped, watching Daisy. She charged away, boots slamming against the cobblestone floor. Neville wheeled around to view Velma. "What the hell did you say that for?"

"I'm helping her. Everyone thinks it," Velma argued defiantly.

"No, no they don't. Emotionally intelligent people understand that she's grieving the person who she loved the most."

"I know, and she's very sorry. Aren't you, Velma?" Vivienne said.

"It's not me you should be apologising to!" Neville shouted.

"I'm not sorry. Vivienne, you don't have to be scared of her, I know you feel the same way as me."

Vivienne blushed slightly under Neville's analytical and, bordering on furious, stare. "No I don't..."

"Yes you do. We always talk about her behind her back and laugh at the way she dresses. She used to be kind of, almost pretty but now she looks like she's constantly going to a funeral."

Vivienne's hand flew to her temple in frustration as her friend continued to dig her into a deeper hole.

"Is that how you speak about her?" Neville asked.

Vivienne paused. "She's not exactly friendly to me, is she?"

"No. But at least she's honest." Neville's voice was bitter and it stung Vivienne to hear a tone so foreign in his voice being directed at her.

"I was just giving her some good advice. People would actually like her if she didn't keep moaning on and if she dressed like actually normal," Velma continued with an air of intellect.

"I like the way she dresses. I think she's pretty the way she is," Neville mumbled, debating whether or not to chase after Daisy.

"You think she's pretty?" Vivienne echoed in a small voice.

"Yes. No. Yes. Why? Why are you asking? Why do you care what I think?"

Vivienne opened her mouth to retort but closed it again, resembling a bewildered goldfish.

"You probably talk about me behind my back too, don't you?" Neville pressed.

Vivienne shook her sheet of silver hair frantically. "No, just Daisy!"

Neville scoffed through gritted teeth. "You're an angel."

"I'm not. You know I'm not. You knew I wasn't right from the start. But neither's Daisy."

"At least she is honest!" Neville reiterated hotly.

"Oh really?" Vivienne snarled back, finally snapping. Neville nodded fiercely. "Ask her the real reason she dumped Dean then."

"What?" The tables turned and it was now Neville's voice was  miniscule. "What's that got to do with anything?"

"Ask her.

"I...don't understand?"

"She's not honest with you, Neville. Not at all." Vivienne smiled triumphantly as she watched the boy's face grow more and more confused. She turned to leave but Neville trailed after her.

"What's she told you?"

"Go after her Neville."

Neville took her advice and copied the path Daisy took in the hope to locate her. What was Vivienne talking about? What did Dean have to do with her not being honest?

Vivienne watched him go, her expression unreadable.

"I'm confused," said Velma.

Vivienne had forgotten she was there. "Doesn't take much."

"I thought you wanted to keep Daisy and Neville apart?"

"I do. And this will. Trust me. This will ruin everything between them."