.:25:.

"Daisy. Can I ask you something?" Neville asked. Snow was swirling lightly outside and the two were huddled up beside the crackling fire in the Gryffindor common room.

Daisy's heart skipped a beat and she suddenly felt very sick. Maybe it was the sudden bumpiness of love she felt for her best friend. "You already did."

"Ha, ha, funny." Neville looked distracted. What was he going to say? Daisy was desperate to hear it but didn't want him to say anything at the same time. Even if the outcome was what she wanted, it would still change the direction of their friendship forever. Was she ready for that?

"Are you going to ask me then or what?"

"I don't want what I say next to ruin our friendship."

Daisy's blood dried inside of her. Her heart shot up into her throat. "Nev, you're scaring me."

"Vivienne asked me out on a date. Like properly."

Everything came crashing down. "Oh."

"And I'm just asking to see if you're okay with that?"

"Why wouldn't I be? It's not like we're married or anything!" Daisy shouted, louder and more accusatory than she meant it to but the sudden rush of emotion made it hard to steady her voice.

"No, I just know you don't like her very much."

"I'm not the one she's asked out. So that doesn't really matter."

"Of course it matters. You're my best friend and I don't want to hurt you."

"It won't hurt me! Do what you want!"

"Okay. Are you sure?"

"Yes. Neville I really don't care."

"Would you tell me the truth if you were upset? Daisy, we're always honest with each other and-"

"For God's sake, just go and say yes. If you're happy, I'm happy."

"Really? Oh, thank you!" His face blossomed into a grin that Daisy wished was because he had said yes to a date with her and not Vivienne. He charged away and there was practically a skip in his step. "I'm going to go and find her now and tell her."

"She will love this cool and casual attitude you have about the whole situation," Daisy joked. Neville stuck his tongue out at her before disappearing.

Once he had gone, she let herself drown in the pain. It stabbed her until she was hunched over and believed she was going to die. She let out a cry until warm arms scooped her up. The smell of mint, parchment and ink filled her nose and she knew it was Hermione. She didn't resist. She let herself be craddled in her arms.

"I know, I know. It's okay," Hermione whispered, stroking her hair. Daisy didn't have the energy to remind Hermione that it was absolutely not okay. She just sobbed into her arms, not being careful about getting tears or snot on Hermione's cloak.

Eventually, Daisy pulled away. Shame suddenly washed over her. "Sorry," she sniffed, mortified.

Hermione fished through her cloak pocket and located a handkerchief.

"Is this used?" Daisy grumbled.

"Yes but I'd rather you used that instead of my cloak."

"Point taken. Where are Harry and Ron?"

"Having a breakdown in their dorms over Quidditch. So, we have plenty of time for a nice chat. If you think it would help. Even if you don't speak to me I'm not leaving your side. You don't have anyone else."