.:29:.

Neville and Vivienne had decided to take a walk around the castle. Neville was pleased to have an excuse to stop studying. He could tell she was forcing a smile on her porcelain face. He didn't want to pry, but he could sense she wasn't okay and needed someone to vent to. He reminded her that it wasn't good to bottle things up inside. They would often find their way out anyway, usually in an unhealthy explosion.

They took a seat outside. Hefty snowflakes were falling around them, biting their noses redraw. Though the heel on Vivienne's emerald boots was small in comparison to her usual choice, she was still struggling to avoid the thin layer of snow that was quickly forming.  

"I'll have to send home for my proper winter boots," Vivienne commented, aware of the silence consuming the chilled air around them. 

"You can just get them when you go home for Christmas."

Vivienne paused. "I'm staying here." 

"Don't you normally go home?"

"Yes." Vivienne's tone was impatient. She softened it up slightly, but a certain level of sadness still remained. "I have to stay here this year."

"Oh. How come?"

"Family problems," she sniffed in response. Neville knew that was his warning not to further his questioning. He respected the fact that she was keeping things from him. He would hate it if she constantly interrogated him about his parents.

"Velma will be with you, won't she?"

The frosting of snowflakes that dusted Vivienne's hair was disturbed as she shook her head. She scraped her shoes across the ground,  desperate to add something audible to her response to hopefully convince Neville she was okay. 

"You can't spend Christmas on your own! Come spend it at mine." The way Neville looked outraged at this made her heart soar. Images of spending the whole Christmas break at Neville's house flashed through her mind. It would be the perfect way to spend it. A good conclusion to their relationship before she ripped his heart in two. 

"Would you mind?" she asked hopefully. 

"Not at all." The boy chuckled and she wanted to record that sound so she could hear it on repeat for eternity. 

"Who else would be there, I wouldn't want to intrude?" 

"Nonsense. There's only my Grandmother. Oh and Daisy."

"Daisy?" 

"Daisy."

Vivienne's heart plummeted to her feet. That girl was like his shadow. She couldn't get rid of her. "Then I'm declining your offer."

"What? Just because Daisy is coming?" He knew she would have this response but he thought if he acted casual she might agree to go anyway, regardless of Daisy's attendance. 

"Yes. She would kill me in my sleep."

"Not if you get to her first." The chuckle again. Vivienne melted. 

Vivienne furrowed her manicured brows. "Neville I'm serious. I'm not coming if she is. You're just going to have to choose." She wanted to add the urgency this visit held, but he would never understand. Maybe it was better to just end it now. But then she would be spending Christmas alone, her only company being her heartbreak and anguish. 

Neville remained silent, clearly pondering on what to say. He couldn't decide and it was barbaric of her to expect that of him. Familiarity bubbled away inside him - he had a feeling this would happen eventually. He massaged his temple, claiming his indecision with a sigh.

Vivienne rose to her feet. "I get it. She's your best friend. I just thought since you two have been arguing so much lately it would be an easy choice. Clearly, I was mistaken." She tried her best to keep her voice stable but glassy tears pricked her eyes. 

"We haven't exactly been smooth sailing," replied Neville. Vivienne felt the familiar slush of anger inside of her. She was shocked and had expected him to agree with her and apologise.

"Why are you saying that?"

"You pretended I didn't exist for like half of it!"

"It took me a while to get used to...this," admitted Vivienne quietly.

"At least Daisy wasn't embarrassed by me." 

"It's funny how you only ever bring this up to win an argument!" She was shouting now. Due to the cold, her voice materialised into steam as she spoke. 

"Maybe it still upsets me!"

"Then maybe you should have said something before now if that was the case!"

Neville gritted his teeth and paused until his anger subsided. "I just don't see why you and Daisy can't just try and get on."

"Daisy, again! It's always all about her!" Vivienne began striding away but Neville followed. 

"She's my best friend, I'm allowed to have friends!"

"Is she just a friend?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" 

Vivienne stopped and turned to view him. She tried resisting the urge to kiss him. He was the most beautiful boy she had ever seen. And he was almost hers. Almost.  "I'm going to ask you a question. And I want the truth, okay?"

Neville nodded, his perplexion making him eager. 

Vivienne cleared her throat. "Do you love her?"

"What?" Neville spluttered.

"Daisy. Do you love her?"

"Of course." Vivienne started walking away.  "As a friend." He grabbed the sleeve of her cloak and she tugged her arm away with fury. She turned and her eyes were flashing with vengeful fire. 

"It has never been just a friend with her!" 

Neville scoffed. "Don't tell me you're jealous of her?"

"You're so stupid. Yes, yes I am. How could I not be? Neville, you're obsessed with her. I really like you. More than anyone and anything. It breaks my heart but it's so glaringly obvious." Thoughts Vivienne hadn't even come to terms with yet were all tumbling out.  Maybe this was how it was supposed to be.  This was how it was supposed to end. "I want you to be happy and I want nothing more than for that to be with me. But you can't be happy with me. I don't do that for you."

"No, Vivienne, you're overreacting, come on please let's talk about this."

"I've said my piece. I don't want to talk to you anymore."

She was gone.