Chapter 3

I felt like my roommate didn't like me very much. She never voiced it out loud, but I could tell.

Every time I’m in the room and Fairul has to use her desk, she gives it a little wobble and sighs loud enough to reach my ears.

I decided to do something about that, even though it wasn't my fault. A little peace offering, if you will.

Most days she disappears in the hours between dismissal and dinner, and doesn’t use it until after we all come back to the dorms, so that’s when I’ll DIY it.

Taking a sheet of paper, I folded it repeatedly until I had a sturdy little square, which I slid under the too-short table leg. The centimeter or so of space was filled, and I gave the desk a wobble. No shaking here.

After that, it was a matter of waiting, and Emil came to walk me down to the hall.

“How are you getting on with Fairul?”

“Terribly. She pretends I’m not there, so I just do the same thing.” Which is difficult, for reasons I refuse to explore.

“Is it truly that bad?”

“She sleeps naked!” Emil stopped walking and let out a whoop of laughter.

“I don’t actually know if she does because she has a blanket, but she takes off her clothes while I’m still in the room.” She hadn’t stopped laughing.

“Did you check?” My supposed lone ally wiped the tears from her eyes, still giggling.

“No!”

Her hand landed on my arm.  “If it’s that big of a deal for you, maybe ask her to put something on.”

“And give her more fuel to torment me?”

“It’s not like she’s doing it on purpose. You should try sleeping like that.” I grimaced. No thanks.

“All I’m saying is that I feel like I’m living in a hotel that I can’t afford.”

“Really, the dorms are barebones.“ Emil skipped ahead of me when we neared the mess hall.  “Quickly, please. I want to see if there’s soup.”

Emil and I sat alone at a table, with her oblivious to the glances of almost everyone else. I wasn’t. You know people are talking about you when they’re whispering to each other while staring at you square in the face.

“Do you always have an audience?”

“Pardon?” She didn’t pause from her soup. “No, I think that’s for you. No one has seen you around here before. Helps that you’re so pretty.”

I hummed. “What do you think are the chances that Fairul’s got something to do with this?”

“Close to none.” Her spoon clanked down against the side of the bowl. “She’s not that bad, once you maybe stop antagonizing her.”

“I’m not, she’s antagonizing me.”

A drawn-out sigh from Emil. “Yes, it’s unfortunate that you make such powerful enemies.”