Chapter 8

People back home always told me I was determined. I didn’t have many redeeming qualities, they said--I’m not particularly intelligent, I don’t have the charm that puts me in people’s good books, and I’m not known for my kind heart--but if I ever set it on something, I wouldn’t ever rest until I had it.

And right now, I’ve got my heart set on avoiding Emil.

And Christina, but that’s not exactly new. By luck, I haven’t come across them outside of classes much, and when they did see me, I start running. Who knew track would come in handy?

There are downsides to this decision, of course. I took meals alone now, and lightning-fast too--Emil always made for the table I was at, by which point I’ve already stood and left. I missed the companionable silence, but this was a willing sacrifice.

I was a long ways away from the mess hall, and yet I could still feel her eyes on my back. I wasn’t watching my step when I ran smack into Fairul.

Or maybe Fairul did it on purpose, because now she had me cornered in a corridor less-traveled-by.

“All right, Samantha. What’s the matter?” She made no move to unblock my path. I crossed my arms, and she crossed hers in turn.

“I don’t know what you mean.”

“You’re not the dullest tool in the shed. I want to know why Emil has been moping about you for days now.”

“She didn’t tell you?”

“Tell me what?” I bit my lip. She reached out to caress my cheek.

“Not now,” I said, knocking her hand away, “And I can’t tell you. You should hear it from her.”

“Fine.” I couldn’t tell if she was disappointed or confused.

My luck was bound to run out, eventually--and at the most inopportune time, too. The only class scheduled for the rest of the afternoon was dance, and I would be indifferent about it under normal circumstances.

We were supposed to be waltzing. That’s fine, I can handle that. What I couldn’t handle was Christina claiming me as her partner. Nobody else contested it when she stalked over and put her arm around my waist.

“Finally,” she whispered. Christina had such a breathy voice. I didn’t answer.

It was too late to find a different partner, so the only solution was to stonewall her attempts at conversation. It didn’t stop her from trying, anyhow.

“Look at them,” she said, referring to Fairul and Nathan as they trounced across the floor, locked in a quiet argument. Christina cut through the throng of couples to put us within eavesdropping distance.

“Let me lead,” Nathan hissed, as Fairul spun him by the waist.

“I’m better at this than you. And I’m taller.”

“I’m the man.”

“Nobody said you weren’t,” said Fairul, tone sepulchral. He seethed, almost palpably.

“It’s like they’re already married,” Christina sighed, romantically. With the number of times I’ve tread on her toes, I doubt she’d mind one more.

Christina got nothing out of me, and she gave up when the class ended. Though not without a parting gift--I felt a ghost of a kiss on the side of my face as she walked away.

I left not long after that, to avoid everyone else, and headed to the woods to clear my head.

Apparently, the woods were a popular place to clear one’s head. Someone was making a lot of noise in here.