Chapter 13

Iko POV

"I don't like it." Kinney huffed, as I tried to reason with him.

We had walked back to my room after Rona had shared her grand proposition. Despite my hesitations, I had found it to be something I simply couldn't refuse. However, Kinney had been less and less thrilled as she went on. He had also been quiet during our whole walk from the dining hall. I guess I hadn't picked up on his mood because I was too busy thinking of how amazing this opportunity was.

I took one look at his tense face and walked us out the balcony doors. I could dream without shame now. I could dream of feeling the wind and getting cold and getting irate and getting sad and tired. Oh the idea of sleeping!

"Didn't you hear what she said?" I almost laughed. Then taking his face in mine, I whispered, "I could get a body. A real body."

He slid away from me and turned to the balcony. "It's not worth trusting her." His shoulders slumped.

"It's not worth it?" I couldn't tell whether or not he was kidding, but my happy mood was suddenly waning.

"She's a liar and a cheat and a narcissist and selfish and beguiling and cruel and put simply," he glanced at me and suddenly I knew, "I don't want you anywhere near her. Let them test their silly ideas on some other robot."

"Some other robot?" I frowned and imagined this was a moment I would feel a deep ache in my chest. An ache that would make me gasp and pull away, tears starting to roll down my face. But I was calm. I was a robot.

"Iko," he sighed and tried reaching for me. I backed away. "Come on. You know what I meant."

"Yes, I do. You meant exactly what you said."

His narrowed eyes did little to ease my worries. "If you follow through with this, you'll have to be next to her everyday for the next who knows how long. Much longer than four days surely. And if I remember correctly the very idea of her being even on the same planet as you for that long was insufferable. Trust me, I know what her promises are like... but they always fall through."

"What are you saying?" My tone was as little as I felt standing next to him who was so quietly angry.

His calm exterior broke, "Stars Iko! I thought I made it pretty clear. You know for a fact I love you! Stars, I've adored you almost as long as I've known you. I'm not letting you go!" This time he gripped my arm and tugged me to him. Placing his hand under my chin, he propped my face close to his and kissed me softly. "So, I can't support this."

"Kinney!" I raised my voice to match his. "How can you say that? You were there weren't you? They want me! Not just some silly old robot. Me! She said they have it all scientifically planned out. They can grow a real body for me and put my brain in it. Don't you want that for me? Don't you realize that's all I've ever wanted? Stars for as long as I've been conscious I've only wanted to be human. And now I want it more than ever. I want to grow old with you and love you with emotion and fire and passion. I want to raise a family that looks like you. Don't you get it? This is my dream!"

"Iko, I don't trust her." There were tears in his eyes, as he cupped my face. And I realized then what it really was, what he was really saying. He was scared.

"You don't have to—"

"I don't have to?!" He gripped the railing and laughed bitterly at the moon. "That's exactly what I would have to do. How can I allow her to-to test on you if I don't trust her. How can I send you to her not trusting that she will be careful and respect you. Iko! How long did we spend today promising each other she wouldn't get between us?"

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Feb 07, 2022 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Iko and Kinney (The Luner Chronicles)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें