Chapter 11

IKO POV

I didn't bother unpacking. I simply threw my bags onto my bed and plopped down next to them. What was there to be jealous of?

We had hardly been together a couple days, and I here I was creating problems. But it was healthy to fight, right?

I groaned into a pillow and got up abruptly. I couldn't leave Kinney like that. Although I couldn't believe that he still wasn't here after 15 minutes, I knew that it was my turn to go to him and say sorry.

I just really needed to feel his arms around me. Even if I was feeling new emotions, I should talk to him about it.

He was constantly saying that he wanted to know everything about me, and I had promised to share... so why had I walked away?

I opened my door and ran into a person immediately.

"Sorry!" The servant stuttered, eyes wide.
"His highness has requested you join him in the meeting room."

I nodded and passed by him quickly. The guy couldn't even look in my eyes, but when I saw the towering figure next to me, I was the one with my eyes downcast.

"So do you want to talk about what happened?" I asked gently, relieved as he grabbed my hand. He stiffened slightly, but kept moving. He knew what I was talking about.

We were currently walking toward the meeting hall, where we were apparently being waited on. I glanced at Kinney when he didn't answer and found him looking down.

"Later."

I straightened my lips into a line, but didn't push him further.

He opened the council doors and I watched his expression turn to stone. No emotion showed, he was simply placid. I tried not to draw attention to my surprise, but it was as if he were steeling himself for something.

Then I noticed her. She wore the same white dress—as if she could be innocent— and her eyes were again on Kinney.

My man.

I pulled him toward two empty chairs next to Cinder.

There were only a few people in the room. Cinder, Kai, that girl, and two other council people that I recognized from the moon.

"Iko, Kinney, this is Rona. She has been invited to join the council on the moon. They asked my opinion, and I think she's perfect for the job. But I wanted to add a second opinion to my own." Cinder said calmly, as if she had rehearsed it to appease the old people.

I was about to say something cruel, when Kinney spoke first.

"I think she's perfect for the job." His voice sounded flat, but his eyes moved in a way that said he wasn't lying, albeit there were other emotions there too.

I tilted my head in his direction incredulously. She was... perfect? He knew her?

Her eyes widened at Kinney's words, her curls bouncing from her abrupt head swing. 

"You do?" She asked, seemingly just as confused as the rest of us.

"Sure." He shrugged and leaned back in his chair. "I believe that you could be beneficial to the lunar council."