Chapter 7

POV-KINNEY

I dropped into the swinging bench and tried not to let my thoughts resurface. I had been angry, really angry. Thorne had noticed and put a hand on my shoulder. I had reacted before I could think. That's how we started the 'messing around'.

I felt awful once Iko walked in. She had been worried about me though, right?

I sighed and laid my head against my hands. I could feel the exact point where my elbows pushed into my thighs but I couldn't find where exactly my heart hurt. She had said no. Ugh the audacity!

I stopped and leaned back. I turned slightly to see the light shining through the window. They were all so happy, even after everything, but... they had someone there for them through it all. So why couldn't I?

The night breeze rushed past my skin making me shiver. What was the point of being here? I seem to be forgetting with each passing minute. No, I came for her. I can say that now. I can recognize that now. I came to earth for Iko. But now...

I whipped my head back towards the house when exclamations were heard. The swing beneath me voiced its opinion about my sudden movements but I discarded the ear-rattling screech and swung open the front door.

Everyone stood in a close circle and made it quite impossible to figure out what the problem was. Suddenly a soft laugh was heard above it all.

"I'm fine really!" Iko's voice pierced my ears harder than an old bench ever could. But then my mind was racing. Why wouldn't they think she was okay?

Apparently my bursting through the door wasn't exactly overlooked. Before I could take another step into the house everyone was turned and looking at me.

Cinder had escaped upstairs awhile ago with Kai. I guess I had missed the part where they smuggled Iko with them.

"Sorry! I didn't mean to cause an uproar." Her voice was smaller as I finally caught a view of her. She wouldn't meet my eyes and at first I couldn't understand. Then I saw it.

Unlike Winter's they weren't resilient. They did nothing to brighten the light in her eyes. Instead they tore across her skin like a burden.

"Who did that?" I asked cooly, trying to compose myself before I was forced to go back outside.

"Oh this?" Iko ran her fingers over the gashes and laughed sheepishly. I realized then that her fingertips were also a little torn up. That's when I made the connection.

"Why?" I asked abruptly, momentarily forgetting that we weren't the only two in the room.

"What?" She frowned and watched me under furrowed brows.

"Why did you do that?" I gestured to her cheek and felt the tension in the room as clearly as my palpitating heart.

"Why? Why do you care?" She pulled into herself and I felt my hands tremble. Why wasn't she mine yet?

"Iko! Why would you hurt yourself?"

"Don't worry I didn't feel anything!" She looked at me expectantly. With her arms folded and eyes narrowed I couldn't help but want to kiss her. I pushed that aside begrudgingly.