Chapter 6

POV-IKO

Something hurt in a way it never had before. I had been many things in my life but a liar was never one of them. I guess that couldn't be said anymore.

Why did I lie to him? Is this what a broken heart feels like? Is this when I'd be crying?

Whatever I guess it's done.

I walked back into the house. I shut the door softly behind me and leaned against it. What were they assuming when Kinney asked me on a walk only ten minutes ago? What would they be thinking right now?

I knew he had already came back. I had waited minutes before following. I had been so cruel, it wasn't like me at all.

I have to apologize. I made my way over to the dining room determined to make this right. I only stopped when I realized how silent it was.

"Are you sure everything's okay?" The voice sounded like Thorne but I wasn't sure.

"Of course. You think I'd be smiling if something was wrong? Besides she doesn't get under my skin that easy." That voice was obvious; that voice was Kinney.

Was everything truly okay? I made a show of reopening the front door, this time shutting it louder. Making my way towards my previous spot I was conflicted with the heavy silence.

"So... who's up for a game?" Cress clapped her hands together ignoring our uninterested faces.

"I am!" Thorne wrapped his arm around Cress's waist. "We need to boost some spirits around here."

They both stood up and proceeded to the other room. I slouched in my seat as eventually everyone rose to follow them. I only looked up as Kinney left but he wouldn't even acknowledge me.

My pride wore out after a couple minutes so I finally decided to join them. When I entered the room though, I wasn't expecting to see a wrestling match.

"What are you doing?" I cried running forward.

"Just playing." Thorne stopped mid tackle when he heard me. Kinney looked at me indifferently then stood up straight.

They had looked to be fighting I wanted to argue as my face burned but instead I just turned around and left the room.

Why had they been wrestling? Thorne was smiling but Kinney looked mad—irate even. I locked the bathroom door and looked into the mirror.

I wanted to cry. I wanted to get tear ducts just so I could cry this very second. Instead I focused on my face. I traced every line. Was I pretty? Was this body what he wanted? If I had had an uglier droid would he care the same?

Without thinking about it I raised my hand to my cheek and dug my nails into it. It was the screaming from the metal that finally made me realize what I was doing.

But it was too late to take it back. I had ripped through the velvet skin, through the metal plating, and through some of the wires. I hadn't felt anything. I still felt nothing.

I stared at my reflection now. It was ruined. My eyes were still bright but now there were three lines cut horizontally across my cheek and nose. My hair still fell perfectly to the side, my eyes didn't cry, my body didn't clench in agony. I was not human and I was not good enough for Kinney. I could never satiate his deepest needs.