Alastor Is Given An Offer

The ladies lead us to the library. Rows and rows of books from floor to ceiling, wall to wall. There's even books on the window sill. I don't much care, but Alastor is excited. His smile and eyes are as wide as can be. His eyes are sparkling. I smile and take note of his reaction.

So. He likes books. Why do I find his excitement adorable?

Al looks at me and the excitement turns into curiosity.

"What?"

I shake my head.

"Nothing. I just noticed the look in your eyes when you saw all these books. You like to read?"

He nods, but his happiness dies a little.

"Where I come from, only nobles and royalty are allowed to read. So I was taught in secret by an ex friend of mine. I practiced whenever I had the chance. Then I was turned in. That didn't last long. I fled the village and I've been traveling ever since. Reading everything for the same length of time."

"That's really sad!" Siya speaks up.

"It is. I'm really glad you left, Alastor." Charlotte chimes in.

Alastor shrugs.

"No matter. I'm here now. No one will arrest me for reading, am I correct?"

Charlotte nods. "You are. Here we encourage reading."

I nod as confirmation.

"Splendid!" Alastor looks around again. His smile grows sheepish.

"Would it be any trouble if I could visit? I've never seen so many books in one place."

Charlotte smiles and nods. "This seems like a perfect time to bring up my offer. If you accept, you will have access to all this every day during any time of day. If you decline, you will still be allowed to visit the library, but it will be limited since we don't allow anyone besides family and close friends of the kingdom and family in at night."

Alastor hums in thought.

"And what is this offer?"

"My father insists that I hire a bodyguard. I have been reluctant, but today proved that it's probably a good idea. Today also proved that you are capable of protecting me. I'd like to have you as my bodyguard, Alastor. If you prefer, since you seem to be familiar with and maybe fond of Angelus, I will extend the offer to him as well."

I shake my head so hard and fast it may just fly off my shoulders.

"I'm sorry, Charlotte. My father would kill me!"

That was a half lie. My father doesn't care. But Valentine certainly would. Charlotte looks scared and concerned.

"You're father is strict?"

I nod. That isn't a lie.

"I'm so sorry. I wish people didn't have to live with a family till marriage. Unfortunately, changing the law isn't within my authority yet."

I nod. "I understand. Don't worry about it. I'll be alright."

Alastor looks suspicious, but he doesn't say anything.

Charlotte doesn't catch Alastor's look, so she continues speaking.

"As long as you're sure. Anyway, Alastor, you don't have to make your decision right now. You may have some time to think about it. All I ask is that you see me after you see Siya. She can be found in the barracks or patrolling the castle grounds.  Most likely the latter. She will be in charge of you if you decide to take the job. However, since you will not be an actual knight, you will not be required to stay in the barracks or even in the castle. The options are there, but they are just that. Options. The rest of the details will come later. Unless you decline. Then there will be no need."

Alastor nods along, actually listening to what Charlotte is saying. Me? I don't care enough to. I was only half listening until she said Alastor doesn't have to sleep near the castle. After that point I completely stopped.

"Any questions?"

Al and I shook our heads.

"Good. Siya and I will now show you the barracks so you know where they are if you can't find Siya anywhere else. Ok?"

"As you wish."

"Do I need to leave?"

They all look at me, but Alastor is the one who speaks.

"Are you running late?"

"Well, no. But I don't want to overstay my welcome."

Charlotte smiles.

"Oh, don't worry about that! I'm happy to have you here! You're always welcome, and you've always been welcome. Always will be."

I smile in appreciation.

"Thanks, Charlotte."

"Of course!"

⚔️🛡️⚔️🛡️⚔️🛡️⚔️🛡️⚔️
We arrive at the barracks in silence. Siya had noticed the same things Alastor did, but chose to say nothing. Most likely because she realizes that I don't want to talk about it and understands. Isabella and Pentious have mentioned her before. I never had a face to put with the name, but now I do. And now that I've met her, I have seen for myself that she's the one they've been talking about. And based off what they've said, I know she's an understanding woman. She'll call you on your bullshit, but if what you're saying is reasonable she won't give you a hard time. And I'm grateful for that.

"We're here!" Charlotte sings.

"This will be where you go if you need Siya and she isn't anywhere else."

Alastor nods.

"Alright! That will be all. You may go back to your day now. Siya will escort you to the castle gates."

With that, we all head out.

🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵

On the way back to my house, Alastor starts looking flushed. If it were summer, I wouldn't be worried. But it isn't, so I am.

What can I say without sounding stupid or like I'm trying to baby him? I wonder to myself. I sneak another glance at him. Not only does he look warm, but he looks exhausted too. Instead of speaking, I offer my arm. To keep from being suspicious, I not only allow him to rest his head on my shoulder, but I drape his arm across the back of my neck. Now I can feel just how warm he is. Now more than ever, I'm glad I don't have work till tonight.