The Fever

I end up carrying Alastor in the direction of my home. Lucky for me, I have a lot of upper body strength. Comes with the job. Unfortunately, Al is carrying a huge sword and wearing armor plates. That makes things a little more difficult. On top of that, I can feel his heat through his clothes. Last time that happened, the guy turned out to be half demon. I think we're still friends, but we haven't seen each other in years. I don't know where he lives, so I can't write. On a whim, I look down at Alastor. What I see almost makes me drop him. He's... Glowing! Well, kind of. He looks like he's on fire, but he doesn't. If you've ever seen a witch and wizard dule and either of them use magical fire, then you know exactly what he's ablaze with. Green, magical fire.  But it doesn't burn, so I continue to carry him. Instead of carrying him home, however, I change course and carry him to the only person I know can do anything about it. Asramiko.

_______________________

It takes a while to get there since I'm weighed down by a person wearing what he's wearing, but I make it there without drawing too much attention to myself and without hurting Al. Because of that, I have no complaints.

"Rami! Rami, we need your help!" I pound on their door as  hard and heavy as my father hits the tavern. Finally, after a decade, As answers the door. I don't have to say a word as Miko takes one look at Al and practically drags us to the back of their shop. I've never been back here, but I'm not worried about looking around right now.

"What the hell happened?!"

Asramiko asks with their hands on their hips and a scowl on their face.

I explain what happened earlier today with the potion. For the first time since I've met them, they seem angry.

"YOU FOOLISH BOY!"

They start swearing at me in another language. I can tell they're swearing by the tone.

"I- I'm sorry! I'll pay for it-"

"I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT THAT! THAT POTION IS CHEAP AND EASY TO MAKE! BUT IT'S NEVER, EVER SUPPOSED TO SOAK INTO THE SKIN!"

The words sink in and I become terrified for his safety.

"IS HE GOING TO BE OK?!"

As takes a deep breath and lets it out. They seem to be trying to calm down. Finally, they shrug.

"I can't say for certain. He shouldn't die, but magic is unpredictable even when used properly. Imagine how it can behave when used improperly."

I try to speak, but I stumble over my words.

"I- I... Wh- Is there anything I can do?! Please?"

Asramiko gives me a weird look like they know something, but it vanishes instantly to be replaced by a sad smile.

"I'm sorry. All that can be done now is wait. Keep an eye on him."

I look at my friend, still engulfed in that hellish green flame.

"Alright... I really hope he's alright."

"You care for him."

"Well, yeah. I care for all my friends. Don't you?"

As just smiles. Since the conversation is apparently over, I go silent and look at my friend. When I do, I see the flame die down completely and Alastor wake up. Well, sort of. He's technically awake, but he seems out of it. Like if I tell him something, he won't remember shit.

"Angel..."

Still holding him, I bring him closer to me and stroke his hair. "Shhhh. I'm here."

"I don't feel so well..."

"I can imagine."

He burys his face into my chest and closes his eyes again.

"Should I take him home?"

"I have to advise against that. I don't think you have the time to be watching him. If you leave him here, however, I have all day to watch him. And I can see if I'm forgetting anything. Like a spell or potion I can use."

I sigh.

"Alright. Anywhere I can lay him?"

Miko leads us to a part of their shop, which I'm now getting the idea is also their house, that contains a bed.

"There." They point at the bed.

I nod and lay him down.

"Thank you."

Rami nods.

I start to leave, but Al starts reaching for me. I look around the room for a clock, but I see an Oracle globe instead.

"What time is it?"

As I peer into the globe, 12:30 emerges from a swirling smoke that looks like a few drops of milk added to stirred water. Asramiko has told me before that's the same thing as the hour hand pointing at the 12 and the minute hand pointing at the 6. Half past noon. I have to be at work by four in the evening. So I have two hours if I want to be safe.

"Is it ok if I stay for a couple of hours?"

As nods.

"Thank you, Rami."

"You're welcome."

I walk over to Al and lie down next to him. Immediately, Al clings to me and makes it damn near impossible to move. I sigh, then chuckle.

"Alright. This is fine for the most part. But I have to have some room." I wiggle until my arm closest to Al is free and wrap it around him. He doesn't seem to mind.

_______________________

Shorter than usual, but meh. If you have a problem with the length, then I'm going to have to ask you to either get over it or write a chapter yourself. And it has to fit with the rest of the book.