Assignments & Idiots

Percy's POV

Dubrov and Mikhael went over with the rest of our unit but Mal and I wanted to stay with Alina. Soldiers filled the tent with chatter and the occasional laugh. Alina was more quiet than she was before but that might have something to do with the Shu propaganda posters around the confines of the tent. When someone would give Alina an off look, I met them with a glare and slightly pulled Riptide out of its sheath.

During training, we learned how to fight with weapons and I faked finding a "random" sword amongst the pile. The instructors were weary about me fighting with a short range weapon but once they saw what I was capable of, they quickly let me go about my business.

Since I was the only soldier to fight with such a weapon, the nickname "The Swords Soldier" became quite popular. I had to get an actual sheath for Riptide since I couldn't exactly explain how I could transform my ring into a blade or just pulling it out of nowhere.

Once people saw my sword, they averted their gaze. Alina looked at me and sent me a small smile which I sent right back. As I was about to ask if she was okay, Lieutenant Bohdan walked up to the wooden stage that sat in the middle of the tent and was just the right height so he could be seen from anywhere in the tent.

"All right, listen up," he started in his rough tone.

The entire tent grew quiet and every soldier turned to give their full attention to the older man.

"I know some of you have been on the road for a week, so I'll be brief. Most of you will continue north to the Fjerdan frontlines. Or south to the Shu Han border. The Second Army, however, had a shiny new solution to our food shortage, and it sails tomorrow for Novokribirsk. If this model works, it means a full meal for everyone in this tent next week."

Murmurs began to start among the sea of soldiers. I'd rather not go back near Fjerda. The cold brought back too many memories. The first night our unit was near the northern border and the permafrost set in, I had one of my bad nights. Mal was right there with me and woke me up before I could scream the whole unit awake.

That night, I explained to Mal the best I could why my nightmares happened. I didn't tell him everything because I didn't want him to see me as a monster but enough so he felt like he could understand.

"It means bullets for your guns and sugar for your tea," the lieutenant continued.

"What about some whiskey?" a soldier shouted. This kickstarted a chain of laughs from the crowd.

No whiskey. No alcohol. He's gone. No alcohol.

"Yes, that would be nice but don't hold your breath. Of course, they need our help bringing those supplies back, so some of you will be assigned," he announced and the amused air from the soldier's comment was quickly whisked away.

Mal turned to Alina and I, "There's nothing to fear. I will now be selecting names for what I call the 'nightmare lottery.'"

Alina and I chuckled under our breath.

Lieutenant Bohdan made a full circle on the stage to get a look at everyone around him. "For the supply run across the Fold! Sergeant Yure Teplov. Tracker Malyen Oretsev. Corporal Masyelentov." He continued to list off names but Mal's stayed stuck in my head.

Our tracker turned quickly to face Alina and I with a distressed look. Alina looked equally worried, "Did he...But you're with our unit."

Mal looked down in shock,"Uh...It has to be an error. It has to be."

"Didn't sound like an error, Mal," she said back vigorously.

"And finally, our swordswoman, Persephone Jackson," Bohdan finished.