Listening & Fluff

Percy's POV

I waited until it felt like Aleks' arms were not holding on for dear life to slowly pull away from the tight embrace but not to actually leave his arms.

"Are you alright?" I asked the man in front of me.

He was silent for a moment since I knew there was no right way to answer that. Alright wasn't the term to ask when someone just relived a traumatic moment in their life but I don't think there would have been a wording that would have worked.

"I...am just glad that you haven't left or called me a monster."

"I know what a monster is, Aleks. I've been chased by them all my life. What you did was not out of your own want but provoked and wronged by people who were ignorant and insecure," I strongly stated.

I really couldn't help it but when Aleks called himself a monster, it crossed a line for me.

"However, may I ask you a question?" I asked the Shadow Summoner in front of me.

"Anything, Persephone."

"I understand that you do not regret the creation of the Fold. But do you still want to tear it down like you've told Alina?"

He was silent for a moment and I could see the thoughts churning behind his dark eyes as he contemplated what to say.

I waited patiently for his answer and soon received one.

"Please let me finish what I have to say before you say anything. I have not wanted to bring the Fold down since I created it. Ever since it was brought into existence, Grisha have been necessary for Ravka to survive. An otkazat'sya could never cross its dark path without a high chance of certain death. While, yes, it has created some complications with being cut off from the West, that can be remedied with a Sun Summoner to carve out a path," he paused for me to digest what he was telling me.

Sun Summoner.

Alina.

It sent a slight shiver down my spine when I thought of Alina and the situation between herself and I but I didn't want to dwell on that at the moment. Aleks felt the slight quake in my shoulders and simply moved his hands to clasp mine in a supportive manner.

It made sense to me why Aleks could want the Fold to stay up but at the same time, it did also cause death and troubles in travel and trade with the other parts of this world.

After a couple moments, I nodded my head slowly to indicate that he could continue with his explanation.

"With the Fold under control, the other countries would see the power of Grisha and Ravka. We would be able to show our enemies that we are not to be trifled with. More so with the Shu and Fjerdan. They have kidnapped and tormented Grisha for years upon years without end. If we could use the Fold as a weapon, we could ensure Ravka's power as a country," he finished his explanation and kept his gaze on me to see how I would react to his more extreme ideas on the Fold.

I kept my face neutral as he detailed his plans.

While it did not surprise me that he felt this way towards the other nations, specifically Shu Han and Fjerda, I could see where the idea of keeping the Fold would cause people to react negatively towards Aleks and, in turn, Grisha in general.

"When you say a weapon...how do you intend on showing that power?" I asked. I didn't mean it in a threatening or accusatory manner but I did want to know what his plans were.

He answered, "Once Alina is able to provide safe access through the Fold, we would bring people of significance from other countries on a skiff voyage so they could see what Grisha can potentially do. General Zlatan on the other side of the Fold has been planning to make West Ravka its own separate entity and no longer wants to support the original Ravka. So, I would make an example out of them. The treason that he and his men are instigating cannot go unpunished."