The Fold's Creation & Reassurance

Third POV

After a few moments of painfully temporary comforting silence, Percy and Aleks' attention was drawn to the edge of the trees where the trotting of hooves were starting to grow louder.

Aleks let out a sigh and Percy could tell that this was going to take a toll on him.

They both stood from their stop at Aleks' lead and waited for the horse to appear.

When it did, Aleksander swiftly dismounted the tired horse, lifted Luda into his arms and ran into the old building.

Percy and Aleks followed his descent down a set of stairs that led underneath the surface.

"Healer! Is there a Healer here?" Aleksander cried out.

People cleared the way for him as they understood that the man was not going to stop in his path and if they were to stand in his way, they would be easily overrun.

Aleksander turned a corner to find another group of people, "Do you have a Healer here?"

"The best we have is a Tailor. We were waiting on Luda," a woman said but Aleksander spared her no glance and gently placed Luda on the cot that was available.

His eyes stayed on her as he knelt beside her and held his hand in hers as if she were made of glass.

Her eyes stayed closed and the man with tears in his eyes ran a hand through her hair, "Just mortal."

The sadness in his voice made the ache in Percy's chest return, tenfold.

The sadness on his face melted away into one of determination. As he rose from his place next to his fallen loved one he asked only one thing, "Where is Baghra?"

He was given no response. The woman looked down the hall and that was all Aleksander needed before striding down the stone corridor.

Percy and Aleks followed his path at a slower pace but they were not so far behind that they could not see him. Percy kept her support for the Shadow Summoner strong since she knew he was in pain.

Aleks was grateful for the demigod beside him and was glad that she was not hesitant or skittish with him. He knew that most people would not have taken lightly to him killing those eight soldiers in the forest, no matter if they killed the one person he loved at the time. It was not an easy sight to swallow. But Percy was still here. If anything, she was even more protective and understanding of him than she already was, which Aleks thought was not possible. But he knew how much she had already proved him wrong. What was one more time?

Aleksander walks through a doorway that was mostly covered in wooden planks and into a chamber that had sunlight spilling in from a small window.

A woman's caught drew Aleksander's attention.

"My son," a weak voice said.

"I'm here. I'm here."

The younger Shadow Summoner sat at the edge of the mattress that was set up for the older woman.

Percy was shocked that Baghra actually had darker hair at this time. She knew that this was over 500 years ago but still. In her mind, Baghra was an old cave lady that liked to berate people and poke at things she didn't fully understand.

The mother and son reached for each other's hands as Aleksander began to warn his mother, "But we do need to leave. Soldiers are sweeping west. They're punishing us for being Grisha."

"Punishing you," Baghra said without an ounce of emotion for her son who was clearly in pain.

Aleksander was taken aback at the statement that his mother had uttered without hesitation.