Shock & The Minotaur

Percy's POV

When we arrived, Grisha of all colors were gathered at the front gate and specks of oprishnik black were around the perimeter.

Aleksander elegantly slid from his saddle and approached Ivan who was at the front of the colorful keftas, "What's happening, Ivan?"

"Moi soverenyi, there is something coming. The scouts on the perimeter of Os Alta came with news that a beast unlike anything they had ever seen was making its way towards the Little Palace," he informed the now serious general.

"Did they say what it was?"

"They did not know. One of the men said it was like a bull but walked and had arms like a man."

Oh schit.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Third POV

As the general was trying to assess the situation and devise a plan of attack, everyone's attention snapped to a loud, soul-shaking bellow that stemmed from down the road. Even Baghra had come out of her dark cave to see what the commotion was about.

A figure rose from over the horizon and it did not take long for the shape of the beast to become clear enough to make out. Just as the guard had described, the beast had the face and horns of a bull but it ran on two legs. It had arms and hands that gripped a large axe like that of a Fjerdan. The entire thing was covered in brown hair and wore a skirt-like cloth around its waist.

Oh Saints, what monstrosity is this? The general of the Grisha thought to himself. Never in his hundreds of years had he ever encountered a creature such as this. Even Baghra was stunned by the beast. Her father had told her stories of a world with such creatures that matched the description of the one barreling towards her but she thought it was just another one of his tall tales.

"Squallers! Inferni! Tidemakers! Take your positions! Heartrenders, take defensive stance behind the Etherealki! Slow this beast down!" Aleksander commanded like a true general.

The aforementioned Grisha did as told and lined up with their hands stretched out. The Heartrenders steeled themselves to try and slow the blood flow of the large beast but it was different since they had never had to deal with anything other than another human.

The Etheralki worked together to throw fire, air, and water at the beast to try and maim it but nothing worked. The beast bellowed once more and plowed through the attacks as if they never happened. The air and water washed off its back like silk and the fire left nothing, not even a burn.

The general took a breath to center himself and let his energy flow through him. The shadows from surrounding areas pooled towards him as he prepared to use the Cut. He crafted the dark blade, "Down!" he cried and all the Grisha dropped to their knees.

The sharp darkness soared over their heads and met its mark. The monster stumbled back but recovered quicker than should have been possible. It bore a large scratch across its chest that left everyone in the front of the Little Palace completely stunned. The Cut should have sliced the beast in half as easily as a sheet of parchment but there it stood.

Aleksander, Baghra, Alina, and the rest of the Grisha stared at the large man-animal hybrid in fear and shock as it released a large roar.

It came to a stop where the shrubbery for the entrance of the Little Palace started and stood tall. It huffed from its large nostrils and started to paw at the ground. It gripped its axe tighter and lowered its head to show off the large, sharp horns that sat atop his head. As the beast was about to charge, its and everyone else's attention was called elsewhere.