★nine - the kiss★

it felt like time had stopped. eisele's whole body felt cold as she watched the sheriff coughing on the ground, bleeding out from the gunshot wound. the gunshot wound that rafe cameron had created. 

john b rushed forward, kneeling down next to peterkin, as rafe turned around, his eyes landing on eisele. 

"sel. i told you to stay in the car." rafe's tone was calm, and in that moment eisele had no idea who the boy in front of her was. she didn't know this rafe. she didn't want to know this rafe. 

john b reached for the sheriff's radio and rafe stepped forward, gun pointed at john b as ward yelled at him to stop. 

"don't try it asshole." rafe spoke, his voice low. 

ward stepped in, trying to intervene in the situation before it could escalate any further. he managed to get the radio from john b and led rafe off to the side, trying to calm him down further. 

eisele's eyes met sarah's, the younger girl visibly distraught. but eisele was too numb to break down. it was like she was watching someone else's life, someone else's boyfriend and family. it didn't feel real.  

john b stood up slowly, backing away from the sheriff before beginning to run. rafe lunged forward, gun outstretched again, and ward stepped in, trying to stop his son. 

"where are you going, huh?" rafe said, pushing past his father and trying to get past sarah as both his sister and father tried to stop him. eisele swallowed a lump in her throat, her legs finally working and allowing her to take john b's spot next to the sheriff. 

"i'm so sorry." she whispered, trying to stop the bleeding as best as she could.

"it's not your fault sweetie." peterkin rasped out. eisele shook her head, applying more pressure to the wound. 

"i'm so sorry." she repeated. 

 peterkin made a choked noise and eisele flinched as several more gunshots went off. 

"you're gonna be okay, i promise." she said softly, hoping she sounded more convinced than she felt. 

sarah collapsed next to eisele, her hands joining the older girl's on the sheriff's chest, crying as she said her own apologies. 

"sarah." ward spoke. 

"what?" sarah snapped, looking up. 

"sarah, i need you girls to just-" he began. 

"no." sarah cut him off. 

"i need you both to get up." ward continued. 

"she is dying." sarah exclaimed, and eisele felt her stomach drop at the verbal confirmation of what she already thought. 

"enough!" ward yelled. 

"what is wrong with you?" eisele spoke up. 

ward turned away from them, reaching out to rafe. 

"take your sister and eisele home. get them home." he instructed. 

"i'm not going home until the medics get here." sarah said and eisele nodded in agreement. she didn't trust ward to get peterkin the urgent help she needed. 

"i'm calling." ward promised, grabbing the radio and beginning to call for help. 

rafe stepped forward, picking his sister up and carrying her to the car, locking her into the backseat before coming back over. 

"sel." he spoke softly. eisele shook her head. 

"she needs help rafe." she said firmly. 

"i'm getting her help eisele." ward interrupted.