Chapter 23

Okay, let me start off with- I know Brian sounds like a whiney little biss during the argument with his parents. They obviously had the right to be upset, but for some reason, I made it the way I did. Hopefully, you guys won't be too upset with me! Now then, enjoy the read!

--

Brian's POV

My parents, along with my brother, sat around the kitchen table -all three of them staring at me. My mom and dad held stern faces, while Seth had a slightly nervous expression with what seemed like a little bit of disappointment. I was really hoping this situation wouldn't happen.

"Brian Andrew Moore! Where the hell have you been all night?" Oh man. When my mom uses my middle name, I know it's bad.

I was with Ben. I ended up falling asleep." I shrugged nonchalantly.

"I called Ben's mom and she said you weren't there." she glared. Fricking frick. "Now, before I lose it, tell me where you were." I wanted to say I was at a guy that I really like's house- but how could I outright tell my parents that? Especially when they're this mad.

"I was at another friend's house." I mumbled. I know it'll be hard for them to believe as I only ever hang out with Ben after school.

"What other friend? You don't hang out with anyone other than Ben. Don't lie to us and just tell us where you were!" Now my dad was chiming in.

"Why are you guys so mad about this?!" I burst out. My blood was boiling more and more by the second. Seth could come home as late as he wanted to without my parents freaking out. They would never follow up with his friends or their families. Why are they always on my case and never his?!

"Because Brian-!" I cut my mom's yelling off. I was sick of sitting back and taking all the blows.

"Because I'm the bronze metal? Because I'm next in line. Because I'm not as good?" Both my parents looked at me in confusion. I glared at Seth who looked at me with a sorrowful knowing expression. He knows exactly what I'm referring to.

"What nonsense are you spouting out Brian?" My dad sighed while pinching the bridge of his nose. They had both been taken down a notch by my sudden confusing questions.

"You really don't know?"

"Know what for god's sake?" I can't believe I have to spell everything out for them. Either they are just playing dumb and don't wait to admit their failure as parents, or they genuinely don't understand how they've been acting for years.

"You really don't know? I'm talking about how you love Seth more than me!" I said it. I just said it. I started to feel little pieces of weight lift off my shoulders.

"Brian... Where did you get that idea from?" My mom asked quietly, shocked. "Of course we love you two equally."

"I don't even know how you can say that. You must know how you treat Seth like a king and me as a jester. I mean, how could you not when you're so obvious about it? Everything Seth does, he is praised. Everything I do, I get a simple lukewarm reaction. Why am I not as special as Seth? Because he's firstborn? Because he's better at everything? Because he behaved better? Why am I the one who must take all the blows?" I felt like I was almost pleading for their love at the end. I didn't realize confronting them about my feelings would make me feel this way. I feel weak in this situation. So small and little.

My mom let out a deep sigh and walked over to me. I didn't know what she was going to say or do. I didn't think this process out.

"Baby, I didn't know we made you feel that way."