V

The Ocean Queen, as it turned out, was surprisingly kind when she wasn't angry.

Xornoth wasn't quite sure how the terrifying Queen had transformed into a friendly, chatty person in the span of less than an hour, but they suspected it had something to do with her husband being around. Joel had very frantically grabbed her wrist, something no other emperor would dare do in their dreams, and had led her outside for a quiet discussion. 

After a few minutes of hushed mumbles muffled by doors and walls, they had both walked in. The Ocean Queen had smiled at them gracefully and apologised for almost murdering them, although Xornoth could feel that she would not hesitate to stab him should he touch her husband. But still, she had been kind.

"However, I am not thrilled to bring you some... less than pleasant news." She informed them both, choosing to sit on a second armchair to the side that Joel had dragged in.

Xornoth looked at her hesitantly, waiting for her to continue. The Ocean Queen leaned forwards slightly, hands clasped.

"Scott has issued a warning to a few emperors of your... 'escape'."

Joel groaned, hand-pressed into his face, but Xornoth could not do such a physical reaction - their entire body had frozen. Their eyes stared downwards, breath shaking.

Believe me, it will not be long before he finds you, Exor, much against their will, established the mind link. Why don't you make everything easier and tell me where you are?

His presence in their mind grew stronger, trying to see what they saw.  But Xornoth's eyes weren't corrupted - and so Exor had no control over them. In fact, they were certain that he couldn't even recognise Joel and the Ocean Queen's voices. It was as if somebody had placed a thick shield of distorted, translucent glass door between the two. Exor could show up behind it at any time and hear them, but it was their choice whether or not to open it.

Still, it was a pathetic little war criminal of an elf versus the champion of a god hell-bent on killing them. They were going to lose, and they quivered at the idea of what Scott would do to them.

I asked your brother about his ideas of punishments... He seems to be very fond of the idea of seeing how long you can be chained to the ceiling by your horns until they break.

"Xornoth?" The Ocean Queen shattered their focus on their increasing anxiety, looking at them with a hint of concern. "Is everything quite alright?"

They nodded, not trusting their voice. If they spoke so much as a word, surely their fears would become obvious. It was obvious from her and Joel's faces that they didn't believe them, but they thankfully didn't say a word.

The Ocean Queen surveyed them momentarily, taking in their appearance, before turning to her husband."Joel?"

"Mm?"

"Why is Xornoth still in blood-covered, torn clothing?"

"Erm..." He paused, before scratching his head. "You know what? I didn't think of that."

She shook her head, although not with a teasing glance at his direction and looked at them. "Before we discuss this any further, how about you and Joel go and find some new clothes?"

Xornoth stared at her before their cheeks became dusted pink. "Oh- its- it's fine Ocean Queen-"

She looked at him, startled, before smiling at them. "You are allowed to call me Lizzie, you are aware."

They nodded, faintly embarrassed. The Oce- Lizzie looked at her husband again. "And please do not make them dress in something ridiculous."

"Yes, Lizzie." Joel grinned at her. Xornoth got a distinct feeling that he was not going to keep his word.