XI

A/N; Y'all are probably getting sick of these but 1K reads and 100 votes on Wattpad?? girl help I am screaming thank you all so muchhh

Xornoth couldn't help but blink at the large bowl sitting atop the dark oak table. "...Aren't those poisonous?"

Joel paused. "They're tulips...?"

"...The bulbs are poisonous..." They started uncertainly and ended uncertainly, not sure if it was rude or not to tell him so.

He didn't seem to mind but shrugged. "Oh well." Happily, he popped a few in his mouth and started munching, uncaring for possible dangers. It always fascinated them, the way humans could casually ignore things that posed a threat to them. Then again, Joel didn't act like a normal human. They doubted he was.

Upon seeing their concerned look, he offered the bowl. "You want some?"

Elves, they were pretty sure, weren't allergic to tulip bulbs as humans were, but Xornoth still wouldn't eat one. They shook their head awkwardly, trying think of how to say no without seeming rude.

"No? Oh well," Joel grabbed a massive handful. "More for me!"

He stuffed the bunch into his mouth. Xornoth didn't even know how he managed to fit so many in.

Footsteps behind them rang, loud and clear. They turned their head, wishing their hair was still long so they could hide their eyes. Pearl walked towards the table, eyes momentarily flickering over the room (it was rather impressive - prismarine tiled floors, blue terracotta walls and quartz pillars that bowed out to give a stunning view of the ocean), before easing herself into the chair. Even sitting she was probably taller than them.

She frowned. "I thought tulip bulbs were poisonous."

"That's what Xor Xor said." Joel shrugged and started chewing another handful.

Pearl exchanged a look with them. "Then why are you still eating them...?"

"Katherine gave them to me as snacks."

Lizzie slid beside him (causing them to start; how was she so quiet?), kissing his cheek. "Good morning, babe." She smiled. "I do think Katherine gave those to you to be planted though."

"Ah, well, it's one of the benefits of being a marine biologist."

Lizzie sighed heavily, placing a webbed hand on her face. Pearl looked faintly amused. Xornoth still had no clue what he meant and could only muster faint confusion. They tried not to make it too obvious, but they probably failed.

"Just because you are a marine biologist," Lizzie groaned, "Does not mean you must use the benefits."

"But I love the benefits." He grinned.

"Babe. No."

Joel pouted, but Lizzie looked certain he was only doing so jokingly. How much trust did you have to put in a person to be able to do that? Xornoth had always worried when Joey had made such faces. How did they know he wasn't upset with them? Love was such a scary thing.

The earring hanging loosely from their necklace seemed a little colder.

"Enough flirting at the table you too." Pearl chortled, reaching out to grab a small circular fruit they were fairly certain was called an orange. "You're worse than Sco-" Her eyes flickered towards them and she hastily changed the word. "-ausage."

Xornoth shifted uncomfortably in their seat, twisting their sleeves under the table. They didn't need to know about Scott. They didn't want to. 

(Right?)