XXXI

Jimmy was currently moping.

He wanted to get out, do something, but no. He simply stayed in his little house and didn’t do anything but stare at the ceiling. Waiting for something to happen.

He had no idea what, but his senses felt overloaded. A constant sense of anxiety that was settled in the corner of his heart, ready to spring free and choke him at a moment's notice. Usually when this happened, Scott would be there for him, worming his way into a hug with icy cold hands and swaddling him with wings and pressing kisses onto his forehead until he felt better, but Scott wasn’t here. He hadn’t even responded to his messages.

Lizzie had started telling him that Scott was evil and he promptly just walked out on her without even considering it. To be fair he had just seen the dead body of that Northen Empress staring at him and Xornoth was a massive prick, but that didn’t mean he had to just ignore everything she was saying without even considering it, even if Scott wasn't evil.

He was being a pretty shitty little brother. Lizzie only ever wanted what was best for him, didn't she? And Joel had been not too hot (or course he wasn't, seeing as he got hit by a piece of ice in the head). They were his family, even if Lizzie understood nothing about human culture and Joel was way too obsessed with killing horses. But no. He just walked out.

He had in fact actually been about to fly to Rivendell and see if Scott was there before the anxious feeling came out of the blue and hit him like a fucking train, every instinct in his body yelling at him to stay put. Not from fear of him, but something else that his internal fish survival instincts wanted to stay away from. Honestly he could be a bird at this point from how jumpy he was.

So that meant he was moping around in his little wooden house like a pathetic meow meow and checking and rechecking his communicator every five minutes, hoping that someone was willing to interact with him.

Unfortunately Scott's end was dead silent. Deader than dead. Like he was dead.

Jimmy's grip unconsciously tightened on the communicator. He really needed to stop overreacting to every little thing that happened ever. It would be the death of him one day.

A purr rumbled from his side, and he rolled over to see Norman staring at him. He moved a hand that was not shaking to stroke him. The little kitten mewed up at him in return, leaning into the touch and nuzzling into his hand. He was such an adorable baby, he would happily stroke him all day long. Best cat ever.

(Norman always liked to patter up to where Jimmy and Scott would be sleeping and would squeeze between them, complaining loudly when either of them tried to move)

He stared into the wall as his hand continued to strike Norman in a methodic, soothing manner. Where was Scott? Was he okay? Jimmy hoped he was - but his stark silence said otherwise and did nothing to help his nerves.

CRASH

"OW MY FU- OWWW-!"

He screeched and promptly leapt out of his own skin at the noise, heart in throat. "Sausage?"

Pained giggles came from the other side of the door, muffled by the wooden door. "Yep!" He heard him croak. "I fell into one of your dock post things, don't mind me!"

Jimmy blinked and stood up from the bed. Norman mewled in response but he ignored the cat, quickly opening up the door to find that Sausage had indeed flown into one of the dock post things on his little dock.

The man himself was looking at him with an unhinged, lopsided grin that told him he was at least faintly dazed from the pain. And now that Jimmy noticed it, he was wearing his casual clothes instead of his kings garb. Which he normally never did because he was extra.