XII

What do I need to do upon going to the meeting? 

The question was simple, yet seemed to hang off Scott's tongue with a certain weight. He knew Exor had planned something, but he hadn't quite understood what. God's were cryptic things, after all.

Mezalea has rarely fallen under corruption or even believed in it. Despite the pitiful terror your worthless brother managed to evoke on the other empires... Mezalea stayed largely unchanged. Exor spoke calmly and clearly. Which is why it cannot stand any longer.

Do you want me to destroy it? He asked with a frown.

There is no point in destroying something that will soon fall. There is a point in killing someone who will soon die.

Scott didn't mind the idea of ending Joel's reign - which some people would consider shocking for a brother in law, but he wasn't called The Mad King for nothing, and he was quite frankly annoying to a ridiculous extent. It was such a strange feeling though, knowing you should be feeling horrified at something, but feeling nothing but the cold emptiness of winter inside of you. It wasn't as if the emotion had disappeared... rather dulled. 

Numb.

At first, it had been almost agonising - he only felt sometimes, most of them when he was with Jimmy. But having no emotion was a blessing he could easily be grateful for. It made a lot of things so much easier.

How should I go about doing so?

Neither Mezalea nor its King is unused to the harsh bitterness of winter. It is time they experienced the cold.

Scott opened his eyes to the snowstorm around him, brushing stray icicles from his hair. He could work with that.

-

The hidden room, or 'aestheticised panic room', as Joel had ceremoniously dubbed it with a strange sort of pride, was nice.

Not that Xornoth didn't expect it to be nice - every room in the Matral Palace probably cost a museums worth of treasure - but hidden rooms were usually just small hidey holes stuffed with a few barrels and maybe a blanket. Instead, it was a room with the darkest wooden panels and a soft, dulled cocoa carpet that looked comfortable enough to sleep on. The furniture was all decorated in cream and chocolate like colours, and the result was that it looked not only lovely but incredibly cosy.

"Now, please don't go and tell all those assassins where my safe room is." Joel joked. "It would be mildly inconvenient."

Lizzie rose her eyebrows. "Mildly inconvenient?"

"Babe, I have, like, fifty of these rooms in this section alone."

"And I assume that does not cover the abandoned mineshaft underneath this place?"

"Nope. I tried exploring it once and died. It sucked." He complained, flicking a light switch. The lamp turned on in a soft glow - thankfully not an obnoxiously bright light, but a dulled warm one.

Pearl's lips twitched. "Maybe you just need to get better at mining."

"Hey!" Joel protested. "It wasn't my fault that it opened up into a cave with one of the largest lava lakes I've seen in my life!"

"So you definitely need to get better at mining then."

He grumbled something under his breath about 'The disrespect' and 'I did plenty of mining in the League of Villains', which sounded quite frankly concerning, and Xornoth did not want to meet the rest of this 'League' anytime soon. Although, with their luck, they had probably already met the leader.