chapter one

thunder storm

Crescent Café, nestled snuggly between La Push and Forks, was close to its closing time

Crescent Café, nestled snuggly between La Push and Forks, was close to its closing time. There were a few customers that remained, too caught up in their books or laptops to notice that there was only half an hour before they had to leave. The light downpour and occasional thunder helped to set the mood as the lights were dim, for the aesthetic.

"You know, you were born during a thunderstorm."

Tama sighed as she cleaned her last table before returning to the kitchen. "Yeah, mom, you've told me a million times."

Her mother, Mitena, smiled at the memory as she recalled the night she gave birth to her daughter, her only child. It was a miracle that she had even managed to become pregnant, and Mitena never let her forget how special she was to her. "I remember almost falling on my way to the hospital, Sue almost fell herself trying to catch me, poor woman."

While Mitena giggled to herself, giddy "from the moonbeams" as she liked to say, Tama was busying herself with cleaning, ready for bed. She slid from behind the counter, alerting the few remaining customers that they would have to start packing their things up as they'd be closing soon. Reaching the last customer, Tama jumped, a loud bang on the window scaring her. Outside, four men watched her with dark eyes, the teenager trying her best to ignore them.

The men had come around often, trying to ask her out and even making inappropriate comments about her. They had been banned from entering the establishment, but they still hung around, just to taunt her. Tama rushed away from the window, behind the counter, ignoring their comments. Mitena waved them off, not bothered as she had seen her fair share of creeps. "Ignore them, Tama."

Mitena went on about what she wanted to do to the men that tormented her daughter, Tama finally placing a hand on her mother's shoulder to calm her, reminding the older woman that they still had customers. As a curse escaped her mouth, Mitena placed her hand over it, apologizing to the few that remained in her store. "Sorry...sorry."

After closing, Tama sighed in relief after she had finished her nightly chores, grateful she had a day off tomorrow as her body ached from standing all day. It was still summer but school would be starting soon, and Tama couldn't be more excited to see her friends and get herself back on track. Sophomore year she had been distracted, too infatuated. Then, she was heartbroken, all too fast for her liking. Both a recipe for disaster for a teenage girl. Her grades had slipped and she stopped showing the same vigor she had for school her entire life. But, this year would be different. She promised herself and her mother.

Mitena wasn't excited about her daughter's behavior the previous school year but, she couldn't blame her. When she was her daughter's age, she found herself in a similar predicament; infatuated with a boy she was sure she loved more than anything in the world. All she could do was hold her daughter when she cried and bake her favorite sweets for her whenever she came home from school.