chapter seven

the calm before the storm

Tama finished cleaning the last dirty table in the cafe before returning to the small kitchen in the back, slipping past her mother without saying a word as she held the small bin filled with dirty dishes that she had collected from each empty table

Tama finished cleaning the last dirty table in the cafe before returning to the small kitchen in the back, slipping past her mother without saying a word as she held the small bin filled with dirty dishes that she had collected from each empty table. It had been like this for almost a week now, the two barely saying anything to one another. Mitena had given up apologizing and trying to buy and bake and cook her way back into her daughter's heart on the fifth day –the fridge filled with treats and food that Tama slowly gave away to her friends.

The last time they had spoken was days ago, when Tama had finally come home after spending a few nights at Charlie's, wrist and hand still bandaged and her car sporting a new steering wheel –thanks to Rosalie Hale, whom she had yet to thank. Her absence had led to another screaming match between mother and daughter, one that ended with Tama refusing to take up her scheduled shifts and locking herself in her room whenever she was home. It was her first day working again, her bandaged hand still sore but somewhat manageable enough to work; though she hated being forced to work on the weekend –especially a weekend she was supposed to be out with her new friend, Angela– Tama did need the money as gas wasn't cheap.

Just as she finished washing the last dish, she heard the oven ding, the girl sighing as she looked up at the clock. It was almost closing and Tama couldn't be happier, more than ready to leave the small space she occupied for the last four hours. Bending over at the waist, she carefully slid out the fresh batch of cookies. Oatmeal chocolate chip. They just so happened to be Paul's favorite, the girl baking them religiously for him and his team whenever they had a game.

Her mind betrayed her, memories of him sporting of the largest smiles she had ever seen him wear made the ends of her lips curve slightly upwards. He had only smiled like that when his lacrosse team had won a game or whenever Tama was in his presence, her cheeks heating up as she remembered his friend's teasing jokes about their "love". Though they never really got along with one another, Paul's friends had to admit that no one and nothing had made him as happy as Tama Hawk; not his father, not his best friend, not even the joy and the rush that winning a game brought him could come close to the feeling he got whenever he even so much as looked at her. Tama never truly believed his friend's when they had told her countless times, the girl sure they were just setting her up for an even bigger heartbreak. But, often she liked to believe it to be true as she had felt the same about him.

She remembered the way he used to pick her up, carrying her as if she were the most valuable thing on the planet, holding her up for everyone to see as if she had been the trophy the team had won. Tama hated attention and the two often quarreled about his unwarranted public displays of affection but, she had never felt so alive when he held her above himself, only bringing her down a few mere inches to pepper her face with kisses before he had hoisted her back up. She was distracted by her old, turbulent romance and flinched, unknowingly grabbing onto the hot metal pan. In her shock, she dropped the pan, suddenly too heavy and too hot in her hands, watching as the contents splattered onto the floor. A single tear fell down her cheek as she struggled to gain her composure, failing.