chapter five

beignets

"So what, he just comes home and doesn't talk to anyone?"

Leah walked alongside Tallulah, interrogating her fiancé's younger sister. The teen had recalled last night's strange events, from Sam coming home unannounced in the middle of the night, naked, to a visit from Old Ateara. Tallulah nodded, shoveling the last of the pastry Tama had made, rolling her eyes. "Yeah, he refuses to leave the room. I haven't even seen him eat."

Tama winced, glancing over at Leah who looked grief stricken. She was right, he did come home, just not in the way anyone expected. Still, better than being dead in a ditch. She assumed him being back would calm Leah down, the girl becoming somewhat unhinged and unlike herself in the past two weeks since school had started. However, it seemed the opposite was true, much to her dismay. Sam had dodged all of Leah's calls, even pretended he wasn't home when she went over to his house five times a day.

She personally thought it was a bit much but she wouldn't dare say it out loud to her friend. She had accompanied Leah a few times over to the Uley house, bringing home baked treats to ease the nerves of Tallulah and Sam's mother, Allison. The poor woman was tired in more ways than one and her only son coming home after missing for weeks seemed to be the straw that broke the camels back. Tama found herself brought back to the conversation when she heard Leah's plans to visit once again, the second time today. "You should come with, Tama."

"Maybe..." Tama trailed off awkwardly, pausing to swat Seth's hand away from her half-eaten pastry as she avoided her best friend's hopeful gaze. "Maybe he just needs some space, I mean who knows what happened to him those three weeks? I was only gone for a few days and look what happened to me."

They all went silent at that, not able to argue any further. In the short span of Tama's disappearance, she had been assaulted and even a corpse, if only for a few hours. Still, the experience was terrifying and while Tama liked to pretend she was perfectly okay, she was far from it. She had nightmares, flashes of lightning and great spirits coupled with the men who had sinister intentions, she found her usual escape into slumber was now triggering and tried to avoid it as much as possible.

Sleep was no longer her friend, instead she picked up strong coffee and concealer from the local drugstore to help, though they only did so much. Her mother worried for her health and attempted to persuade her to stay home but the girl denied every time, still angry with her mom for lying to her. She still hated the fact that her mother had wanted to keep her brief trip to the afterlife and the surprising duration of her disappearance, a secret. Tama sipped her latte to help her nerves, the drink warming her insides but doing nothing to settle the storm in her stomach. Groaning, she closed her eyes, only to open them when she felt small pellets of rain splatter onto her person. "What the hell?"

Her friends groaned beside her, pulling up their hoods and taking out their umbrellas, muttering curses. Leah covered herself and her best friend from the oncoming rain, scowling at the sky. "Great, so much for sunny skies."