chapter eleven

guess who's coming to Sunday dinner?

ϟ

"Are you out of your mind?!"

Tama sat back on the couch, which was covered in various quilts to hide the effects of aging as Charlie hadn't gotten rid of the couch his parents owned since their first meeting. She closed her eyes for a brief moment as she listened to her mother ramble on. Since her encounter with the thunderbird the previous day, she had been receiving nothing but glares and lectures from her mother, her 'nice mommy' act flying out the window and leaving Tama to remember exactly what the bird had told her. She couldn't trust her mother. It was something she had been feeling for a while, more so after her 'incident' but it's words had only confirmed it, the mental picture he had ingrained of her enough to scare Tama away from her mother's clutches.

She sat across from said woman and Charlie, the two towering over her in an attempt at being authoritative. Charlie looked awkwardly out of place despite it being his house and he himself to break the news to the two. Apparently, Zachary's nose had been completely fractured and not only would he have to sit out lacrosse and any other sports for the rest of the year, he'd need surgery, expensive surgery. "They're threatening us, Tama. They want to press charges," Mitena snapped, reminding her daughter that she didn't make anywhere near the amount of money they were requesting.

When the threat came through in the form of possibly selling her car, Tama narrowed her eyes at her mother, "he could've killed Mason, what did you expect me to do?" Mitena stared at her for a moment, as if she were the dumbest person alive, "anything other than assault, Tama! God, what were you thinking?!"

She turned away from her mother, frowning and unable to meet any of their gazes. She knew punching the boy wasn't exactly right but, she couldn't control herself, though it wasn't easy to say "hey I have the spirit of some bird god with no regard for the lives of pale faces that completely took over" to Zachary and his parents and just get off with a slap on the wrist. She also couldn't explain this to Charlie or her mother, the man staring down at her in disappointment. Tama figured her mother knew about her and what she was, the woman being obscenely angry about it for reasons unknown as she did everything in her power to stop it once it had started. Mitena went to yell again when Charlie placed a hand on her shoulder, shaking his head with a frown. The woman scoffed, muttering something Tama wished she hadn't heard before she left the two alone in the living room.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled, fiddling with her hands in an attempt to distract herself from crying. She hated crying, especially in front of others. She felt the couch shift next to her and looked over to see Charlie staring at her with an almost unreadable expression. "Don't know why you're 'pologizing to me, my nose isn't hanging off my face," he said, whistling as he recalled the state the boy was in when he saw him in the hospital. "Didn't know you were capable of all that."