Chapter 2

5:00 pm

The thing I noticed on Sage was that he has never smiled or laughed ones since I knew him. Perhaps there is a reason for that? It was 5 pm which means one more hour. I thought of asking him to come to my place. I might as well invite him for dinner. Maybe go to a fancy restaurant. Nah fancy restaurant equals a date. But a fast food place wouldn't hurt.

I was at the kennel helping Ms. Mary clean the cages. She was taking a break outside while smoking a cigarette. I joined her. "So tell me about yourself?" she says while offering me a cigarette.

"No thank you," I said, "What would you like to know about me?"

"Did you live anywhere else before you moved to San Diego?"

"Colorado."

"What's in Colorado?"

"My family," I leaned against the wall.

"It must be tough having your family so far away?"

"Not really. What about your family?"

She looked up at the sky, "My mother lives 20 minutes away from me along with my younger sister Hazel."

"Your sister still lives at home?"

"My sister and I are far apart in age she is 17 and I'm 30."

"I see. What about your dad?"

She was still looking at the sky, "It looks like its going to rain. My dad passed away a year ago."

I gasped at this news, "I'm sorry I shouldn't have-"

Ms. Mary laughed alittle, "Don't be it was a year ago. It still hurts when I think about him though."

"Was he sick or something?"

"Cancer in the lung."

The sky was graying a little, "Wow I'm so sorry."

"His death anniversary is coming up soon. There will be a party with cake."

Did I just see lighting? "Why a party?"

"We have a memoir gathering every year for him," she looks at me, "why don't you come? There will be cake and music. We also have a pool out back."

"Where is this party at?"

"My mom's house. The address will be on the invitation card. So how bout it? Want to come?"

The sky was getting more gray, "I will have to think about it."