Chapter 36: Nobody is Perfect

It was cold. Really cold. 

All I had on was a tank top, a worn-out sweater, and thin leggings. I couldn't understand how Chase could walk outside in just his plain white shirt and jeans without shivering. 

"You cold, princess?" 

"I'm okay," I lied. I did my best to keep my shoulders still and tucked my bare hands into my sweater's front pockets. 

Why didn't I tell him I was freezing to death? This was petty.

Chase frowned. "I should've let you change or grab a coat before leaving. Come here."

He stretched out his arm and pulled me to his side, rubbing my arm to create friction. He was so warm, hot even. I felt like I was like sitting next to a heater. 

"Is that better?" 

"Mhmm." I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks. 

I was nervous and embarrassed. Being alone with Chase like this was something I still had to get used to. Whenever we'd spend time the past few weeks, we'd have a movie on. For some reason, that made me feel like we were less alone. Other times, we were watching Chloe and Tyler. 

But now that we're out and about early in the morning with no people around, it was just really him and me. I was having butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it. 

I don't really know why I'm suddenly feeling all shy around him. I guess it's because he's been so caring and affectionate, and I just don't know how to reciprocate that back. 

Even with my guard still up, Chase was beginning to tear down my walls, brick by brick. I wanted to open up to him. I really did. I just couldn't put into words how I felt about him. I was never good with words. Chase was. That was his thing. What if he expects that to be my thing too?

"Hey, what are you thinking about?" Chase asked, successfully silencing my thoughts.

We were nearing the park now. The trees were bare and there were piles of orange and yellow leaves scattered on the ground. The playground was empty too, but there were a few people occupying the picnic tables. 

"Wanna sit on the benches?" I asked. 

Chase didn't reply. Instead, he led me towards the same bench we sat on when we took Chloe and Tyler to the park a few months ago. It surprised me how vividly I remember that day. 

I remember seeing through Chase's eyes for the first time. I knew then that there was a lot more to him than what meets the eye. 

I knew his parents were divorced, he told me that much, but Chase never really showed if that still bothers him. If it bothered him at all. Still, he shared something from his past, something that made him vulnerable to me. 

So I decide to tell him. I'll tell him about one of the most vulnerable moments in my life. Not because I feel obligated to share something back, but because I want him to know that I'm trying. I'm trying to open up and be vulnerable to him too. It's the only way I'll find out if I can really trust him. 

We sit on the bench and I move nearer to Chase's side. His arm was still wrapped around me and he tightened his hold when he felt me snuggle closer. 

"I want to tell you something," I say. 

I don't look at him because if I see the look in his eyes when I tell him, I might just chicken out. Instead, I focus on the empty swing sets rocking gently in time with the wind. 

"Okay." 

"I dated I guy when I was fifteen. That didn't go so well." 

I felt Chase's sharp intake of breath but decided to ignore it.