Chapter 13: The Book (Edited)

Weeks pass by in a blur. Waking up in every morning started to become more of a challenge. The summer breeze turned into the chilly air of late September fall.

As I was packing up my things for school, I couldn't help but glance at my body-length mirror and feel proud about the outfit I whipped up for that day. I was wearing a grey, turtleneck sweater paired with a white, long vest which Hayley picked out for me when we went shopping. For my bottoms, I wore tight, black leather pants and black lace-up boots. The boots added two inches to my height.

After I finished fixing my stuff, I realized that I haven't fixed my hair. My face was also bare, red and puffy from the cold. Seeing that I only had a few minutes left, I untied my hair from the bun I was wearing in the shower. My hair fell in soft waves to my shoulders. That would have to do. 

Before leaving my room, I made a quick trip to the bathroom to put on concealer under my eyes and mascara on my eyelashes. Then, I was ready to go.

I peeked outside my window and saw Hayley's car pull up in front of our driveway. I rushed downstairs for a quick breakfast with Tyler and my mom.

"Hey, mom. Hayley's outside. Gotta go."

"Okay, have fun in school," mom replied, as I shut the front door behind me.

I got into Hayley's car and buckled my seatbelt.

"Someone's looking smoking hot today," Hayley commented, driving down the road.

"It's funny you said that considering the freaking cold weather right now," I replied, leaning back on the passenger's seat. I didn't understand how a bagy turtleneck could make me look hot.

"Do you mind heating your car up a bit?"

"Sure," Hayley replied, reaching out to the temperature controls. "So what can you say about my going a little casual outfit?"

I glanced at Hayley from head to toe. She was wearing a black, turtleneck sweater paired with denim jeans and black knee-high boots. Hayley slays each and every style is wears. She could wear a trashbag and make it look like it belonged to a runway show. 

"I love that you tied your hair up in a messy bun. That's a page off my book," I replied. "Oh and, you look hot as usual."

"Thanks, Lex," Hayley replied. "and don't think I don't notice the effort, though minimal, you've been putting on your outfits. I'm liking this change a lot."

"That means a lot Hayley," I replied. "You know how much I hate it when I take way too much time thinking about what style to wear or what clothes match and don't."

Hayley shrugged. "It's fine really," she replied. "One day, I promise it won't drive you crazy anymore, but if you're ever in a dress-up emergency, you know exactly who to call," she winked.

"Of course I do," I smiled.

"That's what friends are for, Lex."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I shoved my satchel into my locker, making sure to grab my wallet and the book I was currently reading. As I shut the door, I jumped to the side when I saw Chase leaning beside me.

I bit my lip, forcing myself not to swear. "Jeez Chase!" I scowled. "You could try to be a little discreet."

Chase chuckled in return as he stood up straighter from leaning on the wall beside my locker. I stood in front of him glaring, waiting for one of his famous comebacks. He opened his mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. Instead, he just stared at me, grining.