Chapter 23: Definitely Hot (Edited)

I woke up Monday morning to the freezing coldness enveloping me. My comforter wasn't enough to keep me warm and the sweaters I wore on top of each other were as good as useless. I hated it whenever it rained in the fall. It would always wake me up before my alarm would ring and keep me stuck under the warm shower longer than normal.

Considering the cold weather, I decided to wear something that would warm me up. After taking a hot - and I mean hot shower, I literally ran from my bathroom to my closet wrapped in my bathrobe and towels.

I wore a white tee under a grey hoodie and black quilted vest, pairing it with black leggings and black, high-cut Hunter boots. Since the weather was cold and wet, I decided to cover the top of my head under a beanie to keep my hair free from oil and dirt.

It's always during the fall to winter seasons that I somehow manage to move slower in early mornings. It's probably because of the cold weather making me sleepier than usual.

I checked the time on my alarm clock and realized that Hayley would be picking me up any minute. I grabbed my bag from my desk chair and jogged down the stairs. Making my way to the kitchen, I combed my hair with my fingers to untangle the last of its knots.

"Hey, mom." Rounding the counter, I placed a quick kiss on the side of her head before grabbing an apple from the fruit basket.

"Mornin' sweetie," mom replied, flipping a pancake on the pan. "Running a little late today?"

"Yup," I replied, plopping down on a bar stool. "Hayley's coming to pick me up in a few minutes. Sorry I can't stay longer for breakfast."

"It's fine, honey." Mom placed a plate of blueberry pancakes in front of me. "Just do me a favor and eat what you can finish before Hayley arrives." Mom smiled at me before returning to her pancakes on the stove.

Smiling, I shoved a piece of pancake into my mouth. Just as I finished my third bite, I felt my phone vibrating in my hoodie's pocket.

Chase: Morning princess. I told Hayley not to pick you up so you can ride with me instead. Be ready in 5 ;)

I dropped my fork loudly on my plate, making mom turn her attention to me. I couldn't believe my eyes at that moment. Did I see it right? Chase was going to pick me up?

"Is everything alright, sweetie?" Mom's eyes softened in concern.

"Everything's fine mom," I replied with a small smile. "It's just really cold today and it's disorienting me a little. That's all."

"Oh. Here, take some coffee with you."

"Thanks, mom," I replied, sliding off my seat. "I gotta go. Love you."

"Love you too, sweetie." She placed a kiss on my forehead.

As I closed the front door behind me, I saw Chase's car parked in front of our drive way. Rolling my eyes, I walked towards Chase who was leaning on the passenger's side.

I walked slowly, making sure to keep a blank expression on my face. Secretly, I took that time to observe Chase from head to toe. Just like me, he was wearing a grey, knitted beanie on his head, his bangs were fixed brushed upwards against the hem of his beanie. His cheeks were slightly pink due to the cold. He was wearing a plain white shirt that hung loosely against his abdomen underneath a washed denim jacket and black denim jeans with white Adidas sneakers. He looked so laid back and chill.

Scratch that. He looked so hot I could hardly breathe in his presence, but I hated to admit it to myself.

"Like what you see, princess?" Chase beamed. His eyes seemed to be gleaming under the sun with his ever present smirk.

"You blind me, Chase," I replied, crossing my arms in front of me.

Chase pouted, placing a hand on the part of his chest where his heart was. "I guess my efforts in dressing up nicely for you today went down the drain."

He made an effort to dress for me today? Aren't girls usually the ones who do that?

"You look fine, I guess." I chuckled, pinching the bridge of Chase's nose, making his face scrunch up in surpise. Then he brushed it off with fake annoyance.

He gently grabbed my hand and removed it from his face. "Don't pinch me. I'm not some cute baby you can pinch the cuteness out of."

I raised my eyebrows amused at his reaction. "You're right you know," I replied. "You're so not cute."

Now it was Chase's turn to laugh. He leaned closer, leveling his face with mine. The distance he left between us were merely a few inches apart.

"Yeah, you're right," he said, poking my nose. "If there's anyone I'd call the cutest baby on earth, it would be you, princess."

Honestly, those words gave me butterflies. Ever since our almost-kiss on the night of homecoming, everything about Chase seemed to affect me that way. I did my best to ignore them but they just wouldn't go away. I bit my lip, frustrated at how Chase's words could make me feel.

"I'm anything but cute, Chase," I replied, keeping a blank expression.

"You're right." Chase's breath hovered over mine, sending an unwanted shiver down my spine. "You're beautiful, gorgeous, stunning, not to mention hot..."

"Try and say one more word," I raised an eyebrow and leaned in closer, taking the risk of almost making our noses brush against each other, "and I'll rip your deceiving tongue out of your mouth and feed it to wild dogs."

"Definitely hot."

And with that, Chase walked around the car and jumped in, leaving me standing on my drive way looking like I was told that Ansel Elgort died in a car crash with Theo James.

"Get your butt in here. We're going to be late."