Chapter 17: The Best Way to Start the Night (Edited)

Homecoming - one of the biggest events in the life of a high school junior and senior. But not for me. I dreaded the thought of it happening tonight. I'm not so sure I want to go anymore. I'm staring blankly at my opened locker thinking of excuses to ditch it.

Maybe, I could pretend to suddenly be sick.

You know Hayley would never buy it.

Ah! I could destroy my dress with scissors and bleach.

Hayley would kill you with those same scissors and will probably have another dress for you to wear.

I could do my all my homework on a Friday night and claim to be busy.

Idiot! You know the teachers didn't give any assignments today!

It's settled then. I'm doomed to go to homecoming – with Hunter Chase, may I just add. I'm literally a single bait in an ocean of piranhas. I know most girls in school would freak at the idea of going to homecoming with Chase. In my case, I'd have severe heart failure. I'd have a heart attack and drop down on the ground dead.

After school, Hayley and I decided that we'd get ready for homecoming together at my house. I wasn't really excited about the fact Hayley would be running straighteners and curling wands down my hair or dabbing foundation and eye shadow on my face. Well, at least she won't cake my face up like most of the barbies in school.

Just as I finished packing up my books, I heard a series of footsteps walking towards me. Assuming that they were Hayley's, I quickly spun around, only to be greeted by a hard chest slamming against my face.

Cue the frustrated grunt and deathly glare.

"Looks like someone's eager to see me," Chase teased smugly. "I can't blame you though. Everyone does would be excited at the sight of me."

Trying to ignore the arrogant comments that should've been sincere apologies, I faked a smile. The look in my eyes failed to cooperate, throwing daggers at Chase. "What do you want, Chase?" I asked.

Shrugging, Chase swung his backpack in front of him, letting it hang on one shoulder as he grabbed a small, velvet box from inside. He handed me the box, seeming to be in a hurry to do so.

"Um, is there something popping out from this box, making me scream in horror while hidden cameras are placed everywhere, videotaping my seemingly hilarious reaction?" I asked, babbling the entire question. "This better not be a sick prank."

Smirking, Chase shook his head amused. "You have a really good imagination, Lexi," he replied. "But sadly, there's nothing popping out of this box to scare you."

"What's this for then?" I asked, somehow relieved that I wasn't being pranked at the moment.

"Why don't you open it to find out?" Chase replied, nodding towards the small, velvet box on my hands.

With one last curious look at Chase, I slowly opened the lid of the small box. There, sitting on a white cushion, was the most beautiful hair comb I have ever laid my eyes on. It was decorated with small, white flowers with silver branches stretching out into clear crystal gems on its tips.

Mother of all things shiny and pretty! Yes, I can't swear properly. I know.

I stared at the hair comb with wide eyes, too stunned to utter a single word. I could sense Chase smirking arrogantly in front of me but chose to ignore it.

"I-it's...beautiful," I managed to say, slowing looking up at Chase. "You must hate me so much to give me something so, so beautiful to make me feel guilty that I never did anything nice for you!"