Chapter 28: A Big Mistake (PART 1) (Edited)

Have you ever had that moment when something unexplainably breathtaking happened to you?

But wait, there's more to what I have to say.

Just as that beautiful moment reaches its peak, it freezes along with time then burns into ashes and is blown away by the wind.

That is exactly how I felt when Chase pulled away abruptly. He took just a few steps back, leaving an average distance between us.

To say I wasn't hurt even the slightest bit would be a complete lie. More than that, I was confused and beyond embarrassed.

For a while, I couldn't look Chase in the eye. But when I did, all hope I had in me was crushed. Cue the death of the butterflies in my stomach.

He stared at me unsure, as if he regretted every single minute we had just had together.

I bit the side of my cheek, doing my best not to let the floodgates blocking my ocean of tears break open.

"Lexi, I...shoot." Chase ran a hand down his face, trying to rub the frustration away. "I-I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry, princess."

Okay, honestly, that just hurt. And to think I actually assumed that he was a hundred percent alright with kissing me. He initiated it.

Shut up, Alex. You're already officially stupid. No need to make things worse.

"T-that wasn't supposed to -"

Mustering up some long-needed courage, I looked Chase in the eye.

"It's fine, Chase. Really, I get it," I replied, maybe a little too disappointed.

That's when the anger in me started to rise.  How could I have let my guard down? I've already been through this before and yet, I was stupid enough to go right through it again. I knew it. I knew it all along. You can't trust guys - especially guys like Chase.

Chase is the type of guy who dates hot girls and kisses hot girls. And those who will never be fortunate, could only dream of sharing this same conversation with Hunter Chase under the gleam of the moon, even if it becomes something ugly.

So why was I there with Chase? Sadly, it's because I actually thought I was good enough. That plain old, book-worm, average girl, me was good enough. I forgot about this so called "High-school Social Ladder", wherein you could either find yourself at the top, or down in the bottom. Chase was high up there with Dave and Dylan, and even with Stacey Simpson - the kind of girl he should actually be with right now. Me? I'm at the bottom of the ladder, not even close to the first step up.

Chase looked at me painfully. "Lexi, let me explain..."

"No, you don't need to explain anything," I replied, annoyance ringing in my voice. "I totally get it. You feel like what we just did was wrong and I don't blame you for it. I mean, I myself regret kissing you."

"Lexi...you...what?" Chase flashed me a taken-aback look.

Scoffing and crossing my arms in front of me, I replied, "What, Chase? What did you expect me to say? How do you expect me to react after you oh so suddenly kissed me and told me right after that you shouldn't have?"

Chase opened his mouth to reply, but nothing came out of his mouth except incomplete stuttering.

"I-I...don't know," he said, defeated.

We stared at each other in silence. Swallowing hard, I realized that a few tears had managed to slide down my cheeks. I had been crying?

Pursing my lips, I replied, "I thought so," before walking away and leaving Chase behind to the company of the tree's dark shadows.