Chapter 19: Princess and the Frog (Edited)

"Omg! This crown looks amazeballs!" Hayley shrieked loudly, examining her Homecoming Queen crown for the millionth time tonight. 

Dylan chuckled as he shook his head, amused at Hayley's childish comment. He lifted his Homecoming King crown from his lap and placed it beside Hayley's. "And would you look at that? It matches perfectly with mine," he replied, deciding to play along. 

"Hey, Dylan?" Dave shifted his position from staring out the window seat to face Dylan. 

"Yeah?" Dylan replied, raising an eyebrow. 

"Do you think I could maybe...try your crown on?" Dave asked. His nervous expression was priceless to my amused eyes. "I really wanted that crown. It looked really cool and I was eyeing it on the display table all night."

I chuckled quietly on my seat - which happens to be the front seat, and which happens to be beside the driver's seat, who happens to be Chase. I sighed deeply, tucking a strand of my stray hair behind my ear. 

Can't a girl get a breather?

Out of nowhere, Chase's hand pulled the strand of hair, letting it fall beside my cheek. I give him an annoyed glare - to which, I'm not surprised, was returned with a smirk and satisfied giggle. 

"What was that for?" I asked. 

Chase continued to stare directly at the road ahead of us but, even in the dimness of light I could sense one of his eyebrows shooting up. 

"Hmm?" he hummed. "What was what for?" 

I shrugged and slammed the back of my head against my the headrest. "You know what I'm talking about. Don't act all innocent on me. It doesn't work on me. Never did and never will."

"Oh really?" Chase challenged, smirking even more. How is that still even possible? 

"Uh, yeah really," I replied, rolling my eyes. "You know what? Just forget it." 

Chase's faint chuckle and amused head shake ended our conversation. The last thing I remember before his car pulled up in front of my driveway was Dave whining on why he couldn't try the crown on and Hayley clutching her stomach from laughing too hard. 

I was the last person to be dropped off because I live right next door to the car's owner. Chase turned the engine off and slumped back on his seat. Letting out a slow breath, he closed his eyes in peace and stayed still. 

I took that time to stare at him as I leaned the side of my head on the window. His eyes were shut, lips slightly parted, and his long lashes created tiny shadows below his eyes. Everything I observed reminded me of the time I stared at him in his sleep. The time I stole his skateboard from him. 

My mind took me on a trip down memory lane - the feeling of the blood rushing to my head when I was hanging from his balcony, seeing the band posters in his room, stealing his skateboard, dropping my phone...

"Lexi?" said a voice, snapping me out of my thoughts. The pictures flashing before my eyes disappeared all at once. 

"Y-yeah?" I stuttered, still trying to recollect myself from my little flashback session. 

"I asked you a question twice," Chase replied, a lopsided grin tugging on his lips. "But I guess you were a little distracted." 

"Oh," was all I could say in reply before I looked away to hide the forming blush on my cheeks. "Could you repeat the question?" 

Shifting from his earlier position to face me, Chase leaned his head back on the window. "Do you like the free view of my handsome face?" he asked, trying to hold back a chuckle.